Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

mtaylor72
04-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Just a few notes for anyone considering a sound system upgrade.

First, I have been designing, marketing and selling professional audio for about 25 years, so I know a little somehting about audio.

Ok...I have a Lemans blue C6 with the Z51/1SB package, polished wheels and clear top....and I love it. I just sold a 98 BMW M Roadster that I had modified extensively.

The Bose sound system contains a so-so head unit with internal power for the mid/high speakers. The woofers each have their own terrible little power amp in the door. I went to a very talented car audio installer (Summit Sound & Security) in Twinsburg, Ohio and he made the following upgrades for me....

Replace door HF speakers with MB Quart 4.5" component speakers.
Replace rear speakers with MB Quart 6.5" component speakers.
Replace door woofers with unique inverted magnet/voicecoil 8" carbon fiber cone woofers.
Add Alpine F540 4 channel power amp at rear of back deck under lid location.
Add speaker to line level converters since factory head unit is speaker level output only for mid/high speakers.

For the install, I required that we use the OEM head unit so that I would not lose Onstar, XM or the 6-disk changer. This has presented a serious problem, since the Bose system is so bad.

Relative to 2kHz, the Bose system has a rising high end with a 16db peak at 16kHz. That is a boost of about 5 volts!!!!! As a result, there is so much high-end and noise that the system was un-useable.

We removed all 4 MB Quart speakers to adjust the tweeter output (can be set at 0db, -3db or -6db). The -6db setting helped with the very hot high-end and the niose problem, but it was still not enough. By turning the treble control all the way down, the system is almost perfect. This is testomony to just how bad the Bose system is (you should see the crap speakers we removed...what a joke!).

I can now hear the system...clear as a bell for every note with the top off and windows down at 70MPH. I am looking for one of the after-market units that will take the signal into the digital domain, EQ it to flat, lower the noise and reduce the speaker level to line level as cleanly as possible. I understand that JL and Audio Control both make such boxes...can't wait to try one.

Questions? Email me or post....your sound system can be fixed!

Steve Desautel
05-01-2005, 05:57 PM

WoodM3
05-04-2005, 01:24 PM

Steve Desautel
07-18-2005, 05:46 PM
I've added the super thin Blaupunkt odW1000 10in subwoofers to replace the Bose self powered unit. I powered it with the Alpine 300 watt single channel amp and replaced the existing 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 with upgraded models and powered them with a JL 4/300. What a fantastic difference. Roof off it is clear as a bell to WELL over 120mph (I live in Germany). Best upgrade by far!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index