Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

trudt
05-11-2005, 09:33 PM

trudt
05-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Darn I pressed enter too soon. I also bought a 300 TD and I would think It was also too soon.

However I need to replace the rear axle and Now I need a special hub tool that pushes the axle out of the hub. I have not even looked into buying the special tool, instead I have procured a common two jaw gear puller, that I will grab the hub and insert the rod into the hub... and hopefully, No AAAARGH.
Does anyone have any comments input would be great.

trudt
05-22-2005, 09:39 PM
well I was able to get the axle out on my own thank you, thanks for your input.

Kevin Zoernig
01-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Does anybody know how to replace just the boots on 123 axle shafts?

Daniel H
01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Check out these guys called mercedes source, they sell an axle boot replacement kit.
Good luck,
Daniel H

Daniel H
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I did axles on my cd a few months ago, no tool is required, I guess you found out though, just drop the rear end mount and raise the rear as high as it'll go, the axles just slice out, once you realease the clip inside the diff. Easy job in my opinion.
good luck,
Daniel H

Scott
06-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Ok, I tried removing the hub from my 116 body. After I bought the tool to remove the hub nut (on inside of the wheel) and got it off. I realized their is a compression type ring on the hub shaft.
The hub nut when tightened compresses this compression ring against the inner bearing. However, there is no way to get it off. The inner bearing is designed with a beveled edge so as I hit the Hub to get it out, the bearing actually made this compression ring compress worse.

I banged the Heck out of it with a big sledge hammer. It NEVER came out. I had to take a hack saw, stick it in the inside hole of the hub and cut numerous times untill I cut through the compression ring.

Wasn't so bad till I found out the price of a new hub $250.
Went to junk yard and replaced the whole "trailing arm" that contains the hub. (apr. 3 bolts and a bit of frustration getting it on). Hopefully it will last.

Scott

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index