Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

jamesmcn
05-15-2005, 08:23 PM
I just looked at a 1995 C280 with 108k miles on it. The vehicle generally looks good. However, when I drove teh car, the speedometer did not move until the car went above 10-20 mph. After that point, the needle moved freely. The tachometer seems to be fine, and works over its range of motion.

(1) is this normal behavior for the C280?
(2) if not, will it get worse?

BTW, this model+engine is a great combination. I've been driving a 1987 300E for several years, and the C280 is a huge improvement, particularly in the power and suspension department.

jamesmcn
05-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe not a big deal, but I drove a C280 Sport, and that car didn't have the speedometer issue. Took the Sport home with me :)

Gideon
08-16-2006, 04:22 PM
My sister has the 95 C180 and it has the same problem, just worse sometimes it only starts working on 60km/h. One night I drove it for about 10km at about 120km/h (judging by the rpm in 5th) before it shot up and worked fine from there. Once again the odo meter works fine even though the speedometer as safely at rest. I know she had the speedo-cluster replaced to try and sort out the problem, but no luck. Any ideas on what could possibly be wrong?

Honolulu
08-21-2006, 04:35 PM
There are two or three possibilities I can think of.

One, the speedo needle is for some reason sticking, and you'd have to remove the instrument cluster, separate the speedo, and shoot it out with electronics cleaner to hope to resolve that problem.

On older BMWs I have fiddled with, the speedo is electronic, and modularly constructed. The pins which connect each module can get a little corrosion, and fail to connect. A little conductive grease may solve that issue if you're up to cluster diasssembly.

Third, the speedo is driven by a sensor on the differential. Find it, clean around it, remove and clean it. Make sure after reinstallation that the wires are correctly routed and not kinked or flexing.

You may have a differential sensor on its way out. Since they're just an inductive coil, you should be able to check for proper resistance, but I don't know the correct value to compare to, you'd have to check the ohms against a known good sensor.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index