Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Paolo
05-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Hi. I own a 2nd hand '85 230TE (one of the last 123T's out just before phasing out.)

After replacing the differential just 1.5 years ago, the recon replacement now again has the same whining typical of an old differential.

Is this a part that really wears easily? Everything else in the drive train is A-OK except this.

Paolo

dembooks
05-16-2005, 05:40 AM
was the replacement "USED" also ? it may have had the same desease
your original suffered from. No , with properoil changes, no water entry, no running dry, they should last 150,000+ miles.

what kind if oil is in yours ? should be SAE90 HYPOID GEAR OIL.
Try changing it first. "DO NOT TRY SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL IN THIS DIFF"

are you sure it's not a failed drive-shaft center support bearing
which when bad gives off a speed increasing high-pitched whine also !

failed rear wheel bearings ????

Paolo
05-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi, CD.

Yes, it's a reconditioned one. Unfortunately, after it started whining a bit, I decided to put expensive sythetic gear oil which you say I shouldn't have done.

The drive shaft center support bearing is new and the rear wheel bearings are still OK (as per a mechanic who checked them.).

'guess I got a bum part, didn't I?

Paolo

dembooks
05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
drain it hot and refill as I said -
with SAE90 HYPOID Gear Oil - real mineral oil -
and give it a try.
.... and ring/pinion 'howl' isn't necessaraly a 'bad diff.
many even when new (12,000 miles new) with just a few miles 'whined'
. Many customers would notice it and complain. Road test's , factory investigated, and no real problem was found. Bearings all ok. Just the tolerance of ring gear/pinion teeth alignment, bearing preload, add up to some noisier than others. Clamp on metal weights were added to some axle shafts to dampen out the hermonics in some cases. Change the oil as I suggest and let it go for a few thousand miles.

dembooks
05-16-2005, 08:10 PM
also make SURE it's Not the rear tire tread causing the noise also.

Paolo
05-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I'll try changing the oil to the one you recommend this weekend.

Re: rear tire tread - 'am sure it's not that also. The whine happens while there is a forward torque (as in when accelerating). When I let go of the accelerator (say, to slow down), the whining stops.

One more question: I noted that this MB differential has a back panel that can be opened. Are there any tightenting bolts inside that can be adjusted? (I know that Toyota Crowns have such adjusting screws and was wondering if this MB series might be the same.)

Thanks very much for the advise.

Paolo

dembooks
05-17-2005, 05:38 AM
if you haven't - order the repair manual on cd from the dealer or on-line from someone like this - http://www.adsitco.com/
It's a good thing.
http://www.roadfly.org/mercedes-benz/gallery/photos/photos-08-2004/21-9640805.JPG

Paolo
05-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Your technical advise much appreciated.

Paolo

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index