Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

B7series
05-18-2005, 01:19 AM
My new racing green XJR was keyed today in the worst possible location, along the entire left rear quarter panel.

I was told (to my dissatisfaction) that this is an extremely difficult location to restore to 100% because this particular area is welded into the C-pillar and on up into the roof. It would require prepping, removing and replacing the moulding and refinishing the entire roof, A-pillars, left C-pillar and of course the keyed area to avoid having a noticeable blend visually present on the left C-pillar. I really don't want to disturb the brand new finish in those areas. But where else could the blending be made?

This is what I was told as I am just as fanatical about my Jag as most, if not all, of you on this board are.

Good advice on an expert repair is appreciated as well as any recommendations in the Long Island NY area.

JMG1
05-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I got a name from my BMW salesman friend, who is extremely particular about bodywork. Called him for you as you're a fellow LIer.

He did recommend a fellow (Paul Blom)...believe the shop is called Professional Choice. My buddy did stay on top of him, but the work was excellent (and he is paranoid and fanatical about his car). So take that for what its worth.

The # is 631-587-7755

I'm always a bit concerned about recommending bodyshops to people, because if the job turned out average.....I don't want to feel like an idiot.

Luckily, that has never happened before.

I would give the guy a call and see what he has to say (at the least).

That really sucks about your car, people have no respect for others property.

B7series
05-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks a lot. I was hoping someone like you could help.

I'm going to give him a call today and I'll let you know what happens.

I thought a good night's sleep would take care of my displeasure, but when I got up this morning and saw my car, the pain returned.

JMG1
05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
No problem at all, I just talked to my friend and he called Paul for you (said he sounds more professional than ever).....gave him real confidence. Paul expanded his operation as well.

He told Paul that you probably would be calling, so he won't be surprised. Of course, my buddy stated that if Paul does the right thing.....he will continue to send him business in the future. He works at a large BMW dealership on the Island, been there for 14 years and has lot's of contacts.

There is no motivation for profit here or anything, no worries. Just want to do a local car enthusiast a favor.

Paul
05-18-2005, 08:58 PM
It's been awhile since I've run three body shops but it seems to me they are trying to milk the job for all its worth. I honestly believe you can paint only the quarter panel from the bumper line up to the trunk lid and blend it at the top of the C pillar. There is no way the entire roof needs to be painted IMO. A good body shop should be able to accomplish this. Removing the moulding is no big deal. They are purely cosmetic and have nothing to do with the window seals. Sorry to hear about the incident. Some people are such A**h#*#'s

RHankey
05-19-2005, 07:03 AM
I agree that it sounds odd that the bodyshop thinks they need to paint the entire roof, as I'd think they ought to be able to paint upto the roof crease that runs the length of the roof an inch or so in from the tops of the doors. If they think they need to paint the entire roof, then the same arguement suggests they should be painting the other rear quarter panel too.

B7series
05-19-2005, 10:37 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index