Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Patrick
06-07-2005, 01:04 PM
My brother is considering buying a 1979 450SEL 6.9 with 90K. The vehicle has been well-maintained and is in excellent shape. Does anyone know if there are any maintenance or mechanical issues with these classic MB's that he should be considering? -Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Joe Perkins
06-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi Patrick,
If you do a google search on 'Star Motors' and go to their website, they have a tech paper on the 600 and 6.9 items that one needs to look out for.

I just bought a 6.9 with 205K miles that I am attempting to bring back from the dead. I only mention this because I have done a lot of research on this vehicle. I know the wheel bearings are recommended to be changed every 50K miles. With a vehicle this old, the condition of any rubber (such as fuel hoses in the rear where the fuel pump is located). The area that can get expensive real quick is the hydropneumatic suspension. I understand that several of these components rarely last more than 10 years and replacing all of the suspension parts can run over $3500.

Of course, if this low mileage vehicle has maint records available, it is definitely worth your brother's time to review them to guess what might lie ahead. At 90k, if the starter and alternator have not been replaced yet, they both could go soon. If your brother has the time and interest, doing your own mechanical work is the way to go but requires an investment in Metric tools and documentation. There are a lot of parts available for the 6.9 also and one can save some money by shopping around. Joining a Mercedes Internet discussion group is a great investment also.

I hope this helps. If the vehicle has been truly maintained, this should be a GREAT acquisition! I bought my 6.9 as I like the uniqueness of this german engineering marvel!

Good Luck,
Joe Perkins

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index