Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : SLK55 AMG picked over new Boxster S

Kaptain
06-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Sports Car International (July 2005) picked an SLK55 AMG over a new Boxster S.

The Boxster S didn't quite feel right and a visit to the dealer confirmed it. The "alignment was out of whack and the brake system needed attention. With that sorted, I revisited the test route and found the immediacy, precision and magic were back. However, the servicing didn't improve the car's ability to soak up mid-corner bumps. The combination of standard suspension and 19-inch wheels remains a drawback in this regard; stick with the 18s, or order PASM with the 19s."

- page 38

amgguy3
08-26-2005, 10:03 PM
The SLK55 is a crazy ride. From a power perspective, it will crush the boxter s and I'm sure it handles better also

fafafuhi
09-04-2005, 12:00 PM
I am unsure of which vehicle to purchase. Putting money aside and asking from a performance and daily driver type perpective, which car wins? This will be my summer toy as I have a Cayenne S for the winter. I have driven the Boxster S, old version with less HP, it was fun and handled incredibly. My brother has a 911 which I drive often as well, that car is really fast and handles great. I had a E55 AMG that didn't handle too great but had nice options and refinements, whcih the slk seems to also have. I also like the idea of an automatic trans and the retractable hardtop on the slk. But, most important to me is performance and fun. The slk has nav, but is it the same sound system I had in my E55 quality wise? The S has the Bose with remote CD changer. slk is black on black, S is white with blue interior. I remember the old boxster squeak that drove me nuts, does the new S have this fixed with it's newer soft top? Does the slk top make noise when closed?

Money is not a big issue but the merc dealer didn't want to budge at all even though they had only sold one car that day. I was ready to drive home a new car if they would have given me fair value for my trade in. They undercut Porsche, at the same dealership, by 3K, essentially making my trade a wash if I get the S. It is more of feeling insulted than anything else when dealing with merc, even though I bought an 80+K E55 from them earlier. Actually, I have financed 7 cars with the same dealership over the last 4.5 years. They generally treat me very well.

Last question, is the slk still considered a "chick car" or "wuss mobile" or "entry level merc trash?"

thanks

Kaptain
10-08-2005, 04:22 PM
The new SLK is not a chick car. It is much more sporty than the previous SLK.

spiky
10-20-2005, 03:03 AM
Given that you have driver so many good handling/fun cars (especially 911). I think you can tell whether Boxster S or SLK55 is better? I'd love to hear your comments too.

I drove the last generation SLK, the road noise is pretty bad even with top up. I am not sure if the tires matter, but guess a roadster is not going to be quiet (hence sound system quality is a lesser factor).

About chick car thing - SLK55 is not a chick car definitely due to the enhanced look. C-class is the entry level car, not SLK.
About the chick car thing, it all depends on yourself. You have to consider how tall you are, and whether you fits/blends with the car. If money is not factor, why don't you consider the SL? There will be less doubt about the chick factor on the SL, IMO.

Puro
12-09-2005, 01:03 PM
If you are worried about how you are preceived when dropping that much coin on a roadster...maybe the money would be better speant on a penile implant.

(you want an automatic..and are worried about driving a "Chick Car"???)

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index