Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

SFM3
06-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Should I buy an M3 that was involved in an accident? I found one with NO frame/structual damage. Just replaced 3 body panels (all cosmetic). Seller has repair documents/pictures, $7500 in damage. Would you still buy? If yes, how much of a discount should I ask for?

StMedina
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
for which it would be a hassle to get redone....not worth it imo.

your price to buy JayDee
06-15-2005, 02:11 PM

your price to buy JayDee
06-15-2005, 02:11 PM

roadflybmw
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM

GNALUZU
06-15-2005, 04:55 PM
And you trust the shop that did the repairs then I don't see a reason not to go forward with the purchase. Just make sure that the car checks out okay.

GNALUZU

'03 M3 w/ SMG
-SuperSprint Race Exhaust
-K&K 63 Intake
-Ground Control Street/Race Adjustable Camber Plates
-RRT Brake Cooling Kit
-PowerSlot Slotted Rotors
-Cobalt Friction Spec VR race pads (track use only)
-18x9.5 Comp SSRs wrapped in Dunlop Super Sport R Compound (track use only)
http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=29217

Joey
06-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Depends on the extent of the damage. 7500 sounds like alot of damage. a little paintwork will never kill anyone, as long as its good, but severe body damage to the front - i would pass.

sayemthree
06-16-2005, 03:39 AM
there is a serious discount and you can live with a wrecked car - I wouldnt - tell me - what three panels were wrecked that didnt result in stuctural dmamge - to a unibody?

Not John B.
06-16-2005, 10:44 AM
If you have major structural damage, you run the risk that this statement is true. Buyer beware, check it out real good, then get a big discount due to risk.

If someone has three body panels replaced, what's the big deal if a good shop did the work, the paint came out well, and other than no VINs on the panels, it's good as new? Why would this be an issue?

If you have the front clip replaced due to curbing, rock chips, upgrade, whatever, does that count? Will the car never be the same again? People on this board have replaced their hoods/trunk lids with carbon and/or CSL style. Should their cars be avoided because of the body work?

Not John B.
06-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I had one crinkled hood with broken headlamps. Over $5000. Even seemingly minor repairs aren't cheap.

roadflybmw
06-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Some people on this board did not have to crash their cars to replace parts. But the guy was told it was in an accident. YOu either buy it or dont.

Not John B.
06-16-2005, 12:27 PM
If someone in an SUV backs into your car in the parking lot at low speed, and causes just enough superficial damage to your hood to necessitate replacement, should someone not buy your car? You were in an accident ("crash"), and had to have a body panel replaced. No structural damage at all. It still cost several thousand dollars.

So, re-read my original post, put on your thinking cap, and try to keep up. What difference does it make if a car's body panels were replaced as the result of a minor accident or the result of the owner's questionable taste? If nothing else on the car was affected, what's the difference. Not sure I can spell it out more than that. Good luck!

roadflybmw
06-16-2005, 12:31 PM

Joey
06-17-2005, 01:56 AM
hmmm, guess your right. i havent had to repair my own car in quite some time (I suppose thats a good thing!).

StMedina
06-17-2005, 02:10 AM
first....its gonna be me.

sayemthree
06-17-2005, 02:28 AM
a body repair will never restore a car to the previous condition unless it is a 5 mph bump or they go and say reinforce the unibody and seamweld the entire car. even then when a unibody car gets stressed in a major accident there is NO way to "un-do" the major stress cycle the sheet metal has been through - sheet metal can only take so many strees cycles before it starts to yield and or become brittle - is it ok to buy a wrecked car - yes if you know the extent of the damamge and can evaluate it and get a major discount. then again the fframe could be tweaked and you can't tell. if you buy a wrecked car at the going rate and dont know it you are owned - this happens a lot - based on my structural engineering education and experience and a lot of experience in auto body repair.

sayemthree
06-17-2005, 02:31 AM
unibody that are not part of the structural frame - $7500 is more then a bump- even if the panels are repalces the underlying structure has been stressed. just get a major discount - what is amazing is how many people sell used cars and swear they have never been wrecked and lie - I have shopped many used cars and found this many times.

fun2drv
06-17-2005, 06:40 AM
My previous car was a 330Ci and I was rear ended at a stop light. The stealer did an awesome job repairing the damage and I couldn't really tell that the car had been in an accident. There was no frame damage, but they had to replace the trunk lid, both rear quarter panels and the back end. I did get a hit when I sold the car because of the accident though...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index