Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : ipod integration for 2005 xj8L

gadgetgirl
06-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I am buying a 2005 xj8L with the Alpine Premium Sound System (320 watt + 6 cd changer). This unit will not work with Alpine's new ipod interface adapter. I do realize that the multimedia system does work with the ipod, but i don't want to spend another 1K+ and don't need the dvd.

Does anyone have experience with ipod adapters including products such as the griffen itrip, monster icarplay, extrememac airplay, podfreq etc ? any recommendations on what works best?

I had a cassette version for my saab, but since the jag doesnt have the cassette player, i have to start fresh.

any advice would be much appreciated.

RHankey
06-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Lacking a cassete tape player, or rear armrest inputs (that come with the VDP, even without the TV screens), I beleive that leaves you with FM modulation (which most aren't overly happy with) or a product that interfaces into the speaker line outs like described in the attached link:
http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

gadgetgirl
06-21-2005, 11:55 AM
have you used the jlaudio product? i read over the material but i don't see how it would work with the premium sound system in the 2005 xj8?
is there a PIE product that could work?
since it's a leased car i don't want to start drilling...

RHankey
06-21-2005, 01:31 PM
I have *not* personally used the jlaudio product - simply pointing you towards an option that ought to work if you're averse to FM modulation. You'd route upto 4 channels of speaker wires from the back of the stock head unit through this box, into which you'd plug your ipod. You'd want to plug in the unit before any crossovers, else you'd not hear the ipod through all 12 speakers.

There are a few products on PIE's web site who's very brief descriptions would suggest they might provide an Auxilary input to a Jag head unit, but they offer way too little info to confirm.

Seamus Hatch
07-07-2005, 08:53 PM
I have a 2004 XJ8 without premium hifi or CD-Changer. Anyone have experience:

(i) Upgrading the speakers and amp.

(ii) hardwiring an iPod or hard drive mp3 player to the CD-Changer input?

RHankey
07-08-2005, 07:41 AM
If you search the XJ8/XJR & XK8/XKR Roadfly formus, you'll find a number of threads discussing speaker upgrades. You should have no trouble finding a variety of speakers that fit the existing speaker holes, and many more options if you want to use adaptors. Some people claim to have made substantial sound improvements by doing nothing other than replacing the speakers.

Based upon what I hear with my 2004 VDP (with "premium" sound system), before replacing speakers, I think you'd be far better off improving the speaker enclosures, as that seems to me to be the most obvious weakest link. I haven't looked yet, but I hear little or no evidence that the speakers are mounted in sealed and accoustically inert enclosures. Replacing speakers, amps, or head units aren't going to do anything but lighten your pocket if the speakers aren't properly enclosed. The rear parcel shelf speaker enclosure would be my first priority.

Re the IPod/MP3 player, checkout the links mentioned previously in this thread. The CD-Changer input is by way of a Jag proprietary fiber link.

Seamus Hatch
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the speakers/enclosures that was my first priority. My car has the 120w non-premium amp which is not going to be able to drive high quality speakers very effectively. Is the link to the amp also via the D2B fiber network or can I get analog line level amp inputs? Do you know where the amplifier is hidden?

RHankey
07-11-2005, 08:50 AM
If the standard audio system is similar to the premium system, then I believe there are two amps. One amp is within the head unit, which powers all but the rear parcel shelf speakers. The external amp which I believe powers only the rear parcel shelf speakers, is located under the parcel shelf. I believe the external amp does use analog line level inputs.

If you're contemplating anything other than improving the speaker enclosures, I think you'd be better off replacing the complete sound system, so you don't have to live or contend with any weak or proprietary links in the existing system. I'd be saying the same thing if you had the premium sound system too (like I have), which despite it's higher cost, still doesn't sound much better than a $100 portable radio.

rmg
07-06-2006, 02:03 PM
On another forum I saw mention of a Jaguar part called the "Audio Connectivity Module" to integrate your iPod to the car's stereo system. The part number is C2S44674. It's apparently available in the US now since I've just ordered one. The dealer's parts person did have to call Jaguar US to get the part released but that happened quickly. It will be here tomorrow, installed on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it works.

Ralph

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index