Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

View Full Version : E55 or M5

06-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Hmm... the E55 is an eight cylinder less weight the the M5's 10 cyclinder. Altought the BMW offers a sevenspeeed it doesn't offer AMG Speedshift. THey are both capble of reach 0-60mph in 4.5seconds so there is no difference in performance. Yet BMW asks for $10,000 more.
Calculating the fuel consumption and ugly looks the the E55 or even CLS55 seems a better choice the the BMW.

06-24-2005, 01:24 AM
The M5 will handle better than the E55 AMG, but the 6 speed manual transmission that it will get here will likely offer less performance than the 7 speed it has now.

The E55 AMG is much more subtle than the M5.

You will have to press the "M-drive" button on the steering wheel (to get 507 hp instead of the normal 400), put the electronic dampers to the hardest of their three settings, put the throttle to its most responsive mode, put the gear change to its most aggressive shift sequence, and even the seats to their most hip-hugging position in order to have the most fun in the new M5.

The following is an interview with Dr. Burkhard Goschel (BMW board member in charge of R&D) and the magazine "Bimmer" August 2005 page 12:

"Bimmer: Presumably one of the reasons for putting a V10 engine in the M5 and M6 was the association with the preceived magic of F1.

Dr. Goschel: Precisely. Fortunately, we are doing very well. Our worldwide sales are at an all-time high and with the V10 engines running in Formula One through the end of the 2005 season I am sure we will be able to create enough buzz to keep our customers happy on that front."

Formula One is switching to V-8 engines for the 2006 season.

BMW has won just 10 races in F1 with V-10 engines.

06-26-2005, 08:27 PM
The BMW's SMGII gearbox is worlds better than AMG's Speedshift. The M5's is a manual with many shift modes while the Benz is really an automatic.

On top of that, the BMW will destroy the E55 in the corners. Its also quicker at higher speeds than the E55, due to the shorter gearing allowed by the 7 speed box.

Its way more fun to drive than the E55, you feel more connected to the road and you get more feedback. The E55 is an autobahn cruiser, the M5 is a driver's car.

06-26-2005, 08:43 PM

12-11-2005, 01:41 PM
I've driven a number of the AMG 55 series cars, so I think I can offer at least a first-hand opinion.

The AMG cars are very powerful luxury cars. Their torque is a distinct advantage over the M5 in 'casual' driving - you just push the pedal and you go - very quickly.

However, that is pretty much the performance experience you get with an AMG car. Push the pedal and feel the torque. It is exhilarating, and very addictive. But that is basically what makes the car 'exciting' to drive.

The M5 is not as luxurious or comfortable, or as easy to drive in 'casual' mode. Where the M5 shines is when you are really driving the car. The performance in terms of the total package is unsurpassed by anything I've driven short of an exotic sports car. The steering, brakes, chassis, throttle response, gearbox are all tuned beautifully together. The driving experience is far above anything availabe with 4 doors.

So, if you want luxury, comfort, and addictive torque, go for an AMG E55 or CLS55. If you're willing to sacrifice slightly on the above for the most exhilarating driving experience you can have with a 4 door car, then go for the M5.

12-31-2005, 12:11 AM
I think the E55 wins hands down, the new BMW styling is awful in my opinion.

Eurotoys Ltd.2001 Jaguar XJR
2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew
2003 Nissan Frontier S/C
1965 Cadillac Coupe Deville (PIMP)

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index