Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

KPG
06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
My dealer called yesterday regarding an aftermarket warranty for my 2003 SL that morros the factory package. Has anyone heard about, or had experiences with the long term reliability of this car. I know that any fixes can be costly, but if they are few and far between, the extended coverage may be a waste. Opinions?

jim496
06-22-2005, 08:43 PM
...if you can afford the loss. The people selling you the warranty are making a bet that you won't use enough of it to cause them a loss, and they have a great deal of information about the car's reliability so far in its life, so they will probably win the bet.

I was recently offered the MB warranty to extend coverage on my 2004 SL55 to 7 years and 100,000 miles for $4500. I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal, because AMG engine repairs cost so much. But I calmed down and didn't bite. I'll probably sell the car anyway before the standard factory warranty runs out, and I can't imagine that having the extended warranty will increase the resale value of my car by the amount that the warranty would cost me.

JimM6 (deposit in place, but waiting until the second year's production)
2005 E500
2004 SL55
2002 745i (retired)
2001 540i 6sp Sport

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index