Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions. Pls help me :-)

The Dane
07-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I just bought my first w123 200. It's in mint condition, and with very low milage.
However my car has it's problems, and they are as follows:

1) I have no light in the dashboard. I suspect that the fuse is shorted, but as the newbie I am, I can't find the fusebox! Where is it??

2) And of course the usual problem: my vacuum central locking system doesn't work after about 25 mins. I can live with it, but I would like to fix it, but how??

C.D.iesel
07-18-2005, 09:41 PM
or 240D - as in USA diesel?

fuse box is on the firewall - drivers side when you open the hood -
square dark brown bakealite cover with 2 large knobs to unscrew
disconnect the battery NEG cable before cleaning the fuse holders and maybe be armed with all new fuses beforehand- they do have a life span of about 10 +/- years depending on the amount of oxidation

the hood will open fully to 'service' position - 90* if you release the 2 locking rotating tabs located in the middle of the hood hinge supports

usually bad or oxidized dash light reostat - try rotating the dash light reostat knob MANY times back and forth till the lights pop on

remote chance all the bulbs are burned out also

vacuum door locks - read and search here for my back answers on the subject........

The Dane
07-19-2005, 06:21 AM
It's the European model as I live in Scandinavia. The engine's name is "M109", 109 HP, 178 Nm of torque, 4 cyl. and 8 valves. Don't you have this model in the US?

I'll try cleaning the fuse box and hopefully this will solve my problem.

Thanks for your fullfilling response.

dembooks
07-19-2005, 05:30 PM
no 200's here in America !

in the W123, we had the 4-cylinder 230, 6-cylinder 280E,
and all the diesels - 240, 300, 300turbo, 300wagon turbo
300coupe turbo

but most of the body systems are the same

start loking at the vacuum hose that comes off of the brake booster vacuum pipe. That's the source of the door vacuum locking system.Make sure the tiny metered hole inside that hose fitting is free of dirt. Vacuum should be present there all the time. Then that hose runs into the fire wall to the drivers door for the master switch.
You should rwally buy a repair manual - from Mercedes-Benz - available on CD now from any dealer. The complete vacuum system is covered in detail with hose routing .

keep in touch

Creighton D.
Darien, CT.
USA
M-B Star Technician from 1970 to 1990
BMW Master Technician 1990 to present

The Dane
07-21-2005, 01:00 PM
I think I found the sollution on my vacuum issue. There was some dirt in the brakebooster's vacuum pipe, and also I found a worn hose running through the firewall. Now my car seems to keep the vacuum.... so far!

I think I have tried everything regarding my not-working dashboard lights, but they still doesn't work. I have cleaned all my fuses and rotated the reostat like about a 100 times, but no light did pop on... Maybe I should change both the bulbs and the reostat. But how do I do it, and is it very difficult.

I just spoke to Daimler-Benz Denmark, and they knew nothing about a repair manual for "such an old car"... Is it possible to order a manual from the States?

Appreciate your help.

Frederik P. Weitemeyer

The Dane
07-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Last night I went for a drive, and all of a sudden my dash light popped on... so problem fixed!

weitemeyer
07-25-2005, 06:49 AM
I've made a mistake on the engine data. The correct name is: "M102.920" and it was made from 08/80 to 11/85. FYI

dembooks
07-27-2005, 05:51 AM
sounds like it needs to be driven more !

sitting is not good for an old car.

put a few drops of motor oil down into the distributor shaft - under the rotor and felt pad - wiggle the shaft to work the oil down into the advance mechanisim to keep it from seizing and give you much better running and power - routine every 3,000 miles with an oil change. Have fun with it.

from your earlier question, you can order the factory repair manual for W123 from this USA online company:

http://www.adsitco.com/catalog/default.asp?CID=1483

online company for the Repair Manual CD's +++HERE+++ (http://www.adsitco.com/catalog/default.asp?CID=1483)

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index