Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

SpidyOR74
07-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Hello all,

I am on the verge of purchasing my first Porsche and am interested in hearing from you, what options are must have on this car and what options are really not worth the money.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
SpidyOR74

bonedoc
07-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Got by Carrera S last month.
Arctic Silver.

Must haves (in my opinion)
1. Sports Chrono Package (so much more the experience!)
2. Navi System (just plain cool and very useful)
3. Bose System upgrade (no other way to go)
4. 6 CD changer (i wish I got this)
5. Porsche head creast on seats
6. Auto dimming mirrors
7. Chrome mufflers (mine isn't and looks horrible.. it looks rusty.. I plan to purchase this at > $500)
8. power seats (i did not get this and wish i did)

My overall opinion is this. You are buying a 997s. Cost is 79,000. Don't hessitate to put on options up to 100,000. This is a Porsche 911. Get it the way you want it and don't skimp on the options. Just do it, you will be glad you did.
After all, you are already spending 80k on the car. Your dream car! What's an extra 15-20k?

I don't like the rear windshield wiper. Takes away from the profile of the car.

I got the sport shifter. I like it.

Not sure about the Porsche sport exhaust system. Costs 2000 and doesn't add any more hp. I am considering a 3rd party exhaust system for the same price that does increase the hp by about 10hp.

good luck,
I love my 997s.

Just got back from the Corvette Rally in Rapid City SD. Many races along I-90 and no losses!! Left all the Chevy's in the dust... Top speed on I-90 was 175!! had to slow down. Not enough straight road.
Pulled away from vettes at about 150. They could barely make the turns either...
I guess you get what you pay for. Could easily buy 2 vettes and a Harley Davidson for the money I spent on my 997s.

Stockinv
07-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Driving 175 on the interstate is grossly irresponsible. Why not slow down and live to enjoy your 100M 997.

flyby
07-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Purchased my 911 coupe off of a dealer showroom last month with the following options: self dimming mirrors, high end Bose, sport chrono pkg., bi-xenon lamps, heated & power seats, sport wheel, navigation, full supple leather, remote CD 6 disc changer. When thinking about getting a "S" model and looking around I did not think I wanted navigation or sports chrono. Found a non-S silver coupe at dealer and told him that, so he discounted both options to zero. Purchased the 911 with 18K of options and drove home. Now that I have used both options I'm glad their installed. Of the above there none that I would now delete. Whatever you get you will enjoy. But get what options are important to you. Of the many cars I've owned over the years, this one is the best built and most fun to drive (more so than even my '64 corvette).

SpidyOR74
07-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Thank you for you kind and informative responses.

machtigavant
07-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I just committed to a 997 S coming at the end of the month.

This was my list of must-have's:

1) Sport Chrono Package (Had to have the best of the best when it comes to suspension tuning and throttle response)
2) High-end Bose
3) Porsche Sport Exhaust (the last thing I want to hear is that the catback exhaust I put on voided my warranty...)

I ended up getting Nav, Classic wheels, and the adjustable seats as they were on the car.

The PSE is expensive, but worth it IMO. You get the great sound and don't have to worry about your warranty.

Mark
07-29-2005, 11:53 PM
IMO:
It must be an S, or you are crazy, and then:
Metalic Paint, purely personal
Adaptive Sport seats, expensive, but worth it.
Sport Chrono
PSE
Sport Shift
Bose
The above are must haves for the esential sports car. Navigation is a toy that has nothing to do with speed. Get it if you like gadgets. I could care less for it. I have it in my daily driver, not in my Porsche.
I also added:

Heated seats
Electronic dim. mirrors
Carrera classic wheels

Kaptain
07-31-2005, 01:02 AM
A limited slip would be great, but it isn't available here.

Longhorn
08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Sport Exhaust it sounds wonderful. $2400
Short Shift kit $765
BOSE - I have heard other say it isn't worth it but, if you listen to hip-hop or anything with bass in it, the system is fantastic.
Sport Adaptive Seats- wish I got them......

Longhorn
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM

Bob
09-08-2005, 11:48 PM
I am in process of ordering an S cabriolet. I am unsure about the $2,300 for the sports exhaust. This dealer says it is not worth the money as it does not increase the horsepower. Is the ability to change the sound worth it? The exhaust sounds great as is. How much better can it get?

Bob
09-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Has anyone ordered the factory cell phone cradle module that allows you to use your own cell phone through the sound system? I am not talking about the SIMM card tray on the PCM. The SIMM tray will only work with a GSM phone.

carreradoc
09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I got my Carrera S last week. Options include Sportchrono, Sport seats, sport shifter, and sport exhaust. I also got the Bose sound system with 6CD player and some other minor options. The sport exhaust sounds so amazing that I don't even want to listen to the Bose sound system. I wasn't sure about the sport exhaust when I ordered it, but now I consider itto be nearly a must have. However the only true must have is the sport chrono package. Even if you don't like the timer, the difference in performance in sport mode is amazing.

geo
09-12-2005, 09:22 PM
I ordered a C4S, expected delivery is Nov 2005.

The options I selected were,
Black color
Black Standard Leather
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Navigation for PCM
Bose High End Sound Package
Black Mats - Porsche lettering
Sport Shifter
Sport Exhaust System
Seat Belts - Guards Red (saw this on a black 997 C2S... looked awesome, matched the red brake calipers

can't wait to get it

Kevin Karton
11-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Bob, I heard that this was no longer available as an option for the 2006 997. Was that your experience as well?

Did you end up with the more expensive PCM integrated phone and have you found it worth the money? Any other viable alternatives - blue tooth, etc?

lockie
11-08-2005, 11:12 PM
order the GSM cell phone module which works with the builtin PCM.
I have the multifunciton steering wheel and I can answer or not answer any calls without taking my hands off the wheel. The only funny thing are the looks you get when your talking and laughing with the handsfree system and people walk by and think your a laughing fool. The sound really is clear with no lag time. It sounds like your home phone . Its very convenient and allows you to drive the 911 with both hands. I have a dedicated car number and forward my hand held cell to my car when I am driving.

Kevin Karton
11-19-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm not seeing too many people shelling out the extra cash for the full leather (>$3K) or even the leather seats option (>$1.5K). Are these just not worth the money in most people's opinions? Is the standard leather on the interior portions of the seats and the leatherette nice enough to satisfy most?

Duane
11-30-2005, 11:08 PM
We just picked up our 997 C4S today and the dealer said the PCM phone system sims didn't work yet in the US...what kind of phone and phone company do you use?

rjmaclean
12-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Kevin,

I got the leather and it worth EVERY penny I paid for it. I am very picky about buying anything with leather, especially jackets...nothing is more geaky than a dude wear a cheesy leather jacket.

I was really impressed with the sleek and tight tayloring. Who ever does the leather work for them is pretty freak'n talented. You'll be amazed how they tightly wrapped it around the console and controls. I was told that an old French family owned company does it for them...who knows...it is real nice.

The leather is very smooth and soft with perfect stitching, not that rough and stiff stuff you see auto-makers putting on every car now a days.

rjmaclean
12-07-2005, 09:17 PM
The one option I regret not getting was the sport shifter. The normal one seems to be an exagerated movement. At 35 years-old and have long arms, it is not too bad.

Man...you HAVE to get the leather. I am SO VERY impressed with the workmanship and quality of it.

jmorod
12-09-2005, 10:00 PM
sport seats, exhaust, bose, red seatbelts.

happy911
12-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I have a 997S, Cab with the following options: Full leather, sports chrono, heated seats, upgraded bose, sports seats. I would tell you that the full leather is a nice feature and I appreciate the fine stitching on the dash and seats. Is it worth 3k, hell no. But it's a small addition to an already high price tag. Having seen the std leather model. I really prefer my leather and would pay up for it. If you saw them side by side, you'd probably take it too.

cd911
02-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Any opinions re: Tubi or PSE for my 05 997S w/ sports chrono, etc..

ugabuga
02-05-2006, 05:05 PM
In the standard leather package, what surfaces other than seats are included? In the full leather, what other surfaces are included?
Thanks in advance,
I cannot find a full description on the Porsche website

Stockinv
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Go the the Porsche website. Click on "Build Your Own Porsche", then click on "3D Version". When you get to the interior options, it give a pretty good visual description of the leather.

wsparacio
02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Standard Leather is only the seats.

Full Leather Package includes the dash (Looks great), the steering wheel, the doors, and the side panels in the rear. Additional leather options include the center consol, shifter, break lever, sun-visors, instrument dial-trim, etc. (All for a price, of course)

If price is an issue, spend your money on PSE or Sport Chrono.

WJS

MDW
02-09-2006, 09:48 PM
The Crono pakage not a must unless you are going to the track SAVE YOUR MONEY

Stearing wheel with controlls nice yet not worth the extra $

javcolon
03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Why didn't you order "extended" navigation - its just a couple of hundred bucks? Why not TPMS? I'm curious because I am ordering a 997 with these items. Extended seems like insurance in case you drive off the DVD map and need to get back to the highway. TPMS seems like a safety feature for a small price - also the metal valve stems that comes with it look better in my opinion.

Opps. I just realized that your message was written last year. These options may not have been available then.

severe
04-19-2006, 08:14 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly. It's so cheap, it is a must. Top Gear said something like, "The Sport Chrono package takes the car from being something for bald old fat people to that for sinewy, good looking young people." Something like that. plus, it's nice to have a middle ground for the traction control. Totally worth it, in my book.

idrachma
05-16-2006, 10:41 PM
I just purchased an '06 C4S with the following options that I would recommend:

SPort exhaust, with the sport chrono (best performance/sound for the money, and it adds a nice look to the dash).
Full leather - luxurious look for a 90K + car
Nav - gives a boost on resale value and its easy to use
Power seats and seat heaters - again resale and keeping me warm in winter. Wife likes it too - power seats have memory!
Bose - I'm okay with this, but couldn't care less about the 6 CD changer

All other items I like are standard on the S:
sport wheel
Xenon
19" wheels (S wheels)
PASM - great option - on highway at high speed really shines

To me the sport shifter is not really needed, 997 has a shorter throw than the 996.

idrachma
05-16-2006, 10:46 PM
One more option to get:
TPMS - tire pressure monitoring system, must have especially with 19" or larger wheels.

Edgy01
05-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Porsche's leather is done by a firm in Austria. About 12 km inside the border from Germany.

Dan

frayed
05-19-2006, 08:25 PM
adaptives, self dimming, bose, buncha other schit. Here's my take:

I never use nav, skip it.
Don't like self dimming, hides the cops especially during twilight.
Love full leather. A must have.
Sport adaptives? Bleh. Get sport seats and save the cash.
PCCBs rock, absolutely rock.
Bose sucks asss. However, not much of a choice here.

Sport exhaust: bought it afterwards, I'd likely spec it on my own car
Short shift: definitely
Thicker sport steering wheel: definitely

frayed
05-19-2006, 08:28 PM
a gimmick. It accelerates throttle tip in fooling the driver into the car have more juice, but in reality all what it does is make subtle throttle changes under hard driving hard to do. And the wart on the dash is ugly.

The only thing its good for is extending PSM limits.

I'd skip it, except on the turbo it would be cool to have the overboost feature.

johnww
09-16-2006, 11:38 PM
When you say the ceramics rock, have you compared the stopping power of the ceramics with any porsche with steel discs??

frayed
09-19-2006, 08:35 PM
and a 996 C4S with steel. The ceramics have the bite of a good trackpad but with better modulation and no dust.

They look cool too. :)

johnww
10-13-2006, 08:57 PM
what does supple leather bring to the picture?? Some say it won't last like the regular leather.

RonCT
10-22-2006, 03:40 PM
I just placed my order and my 997S will be completed on 11/16 (or so the factory says). I went through the same process you are going through - what are "must have" options... I realized, after much debate with others, that there are no must have options. This is an individual car and you order what you want and do not worry about what others may think or say or what resale may be like some day in the future.

What I wanted was the most simple and light-weight "race oriented" 997S. I despise the "wart" of the sport chrono and in reality, there is no Sport to it at all. The throttle remap is a gimmick - to get 50% throttle you press the pedal say 5mm, but in sport only 4mm. There's no more HP, just makes your brain think there's more sport because your foot muscle memory thinks that "X" pressure on the pedal makes it go "Y" fast. The lap timer is useless - just get a TraqMate or other timing device for the same money. Changing the limit of PSM is useless too - if you want higher limits, turn it off (it still sits there waiting to save you).

I wanted manual sport seats - lighter weight, can go lower (no motors) - set it once and forget it.

Bose was a short debate. The stock stereo is excellent and I didn't want more weight in the car of the extra subs.

Sport shifter - can only be added by the dealer, so live with the oem one for a while and then decide.

Sport exhaust, no thanks. Even heavier than oem, $2400, and I don't need a button to "un sport" my sports car. I will probably get a Fabspeed or other aftermarket to save the 28 lbs (cost about $1k) and no, changing the exhaust cannot negatively impact warranty.

Many said "you have to get power seats (sport or otherwise), Bose, Sport Chrono, Self Dimming Mirrors, etc." because of resale. But if you take all of that it probably adds up to say $5,000. Put $5k away today at 10% and in 5 years it's $8k. So you could sell your 997S in 5 years for $8k less than if you had the options and be even. My guess is there will not be that much of a difference...

Here's what I ordered:

Cobalt Blue
Black instrument dials (classic Porsche look, not "trendy" like the white)
Sport heated seats
Fire extinguisher
Black mats
Clear corners (thrown in by dealer).

That's it - plain and simple... So, get what you want for you...

RonCT

P.S. I had a 2003 no moonroof manual cloth seats no options M3 that I just sold for $34k in about 3 days of marketing it. Sold to a fellow enthusiast and I'd say I got a premium over the market because it was well cared for, light weigh, uncomplicated, and had extra head room from no moonroof / manual seats.

frayed
10-28-2006, 09:50 AM
nice in these cars. But, sticking with sport theme, you need a SSK and Sport Exhaust. I know a lot of people go aftermarket on exhaust, but, as in bmw aftermarket, they don't have the quality, lack of resonance, and fitment as OE.

I think I'm one of the few dissenters on the wart. I hated the throttle mapping. Very irritating. The only good point of sport crono is the extra PSM limits.

RonCT
10-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I know a few guys with P-cars that have full leather and driving with the windows opens really messes up the door leather.

I will probably get the Sport Shift - dealer option same cost as it used to be from the factory - so no loss there and I keep the oem shifter (Christmas Tree ornament).

Exhaust was one I contemplated at length, but because it's heavier than stock and $2400, I passed in favor of an AWE, Fabspeed or perhaps a Borla if David makes one for the 997.

frayed
10-28-2006, 02:06 PM
most suck. You can buy a used sport exhaust for 1k or so.

Leather. . . good point for a car that will see significant track time.

akhoover
10-28-2006, 07:34 PM
I just bought a 2006 Carrera S and it has less than 1000 miles. It has a smokey smell like something is burning (oil maybe). Someone has said it's the clutch. Is it normal to have this smell on a new Porsche?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index