Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

mal
07-20-2005, 08:02 AM
I have a 1998 c250td which I have been reliably informed is a fantastic towcar. Why is it then that when trying to pull a 1060kg caravan uphill it won't give me more than 2500rpm in 3rd or 4th. Normally it goes like stink.

sf3cats
10-21-2005, 03:13 PM
I know diesels have more torque than gas engines, but that sounds to be a bit heavy to tow. I have a 2K C280 and have towed 1200 lbs (about half the weight you tow) with no problem.
I'm not sure how tongue weight affects you either. On a two-wheeled trailer, the tongue weight on your rear suspension is about 10%. In my case, that's an equivalent of a 120 lb person sitting on the rear bumper. The car can easily take that. In your case, I don't know the tongue weight (a caravan has 4 wheels?). Talk to a company that sells trailers or Google the internet to find a discussion on towing. I would think that the more weight on your rear wheels (especially going uphill) would require more torque to spin them...thus requiring more power.
R.Alsatian

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index