Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ran777
08-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I am looking at a 1984 300D Turbo diesel. 160K miles it's in good shape but when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear it's hard. Is this a big problem or maybe just the filter need's to be changed?

Also the AC doesn't work.

What is the car's worth?? I am in Texas.

Ran

dembooks
08-07-2005, 04:01 PM
and what condition are the seats in - padding shot ?

Brakes ? shocks ? front ball joints and steering

sounds like a $300 - $3000 car - from long distance and no photos.

the shifting harshness is the vacuum control being screwed up.
All those vacuum hoses on top of the motor and the drivers side of the motor, the EGR vacuum system is tied into the same system. Linkage adjustment from the vacuum valves ontop of the cam cover to the injection pump/vacuum regulator - all easy (and very common ailment) if your trained and experienced with the car. And yes, auto trans oil and filter service is always needed - just like an engine oil change. The Air Conditioning can be just a broken wire to the compressor clutch or - 10 other things.

Very simple car to repair - but much knowledge, manuals, some special tools, and training required.

any RUST ? - take another look under all the carpets and under the plastic panels inside the rear fenders/trunk.

happy hunting

Ran777
08-07-2005, 09:56 PM
No rust, no salt in Texas. Is this model ok? What about the engine ? Costly repair? What is the car worth? The body is in great shape and the seats are also in good shape. The engine is very noisy but seems to run good. Anything I should look for??

Ran

dembooks
08-09-2005, 08:57 PM
what do you mean 'noisy' ?

any service records / reciepts with the car ?

sure - a few sources for complete "Long Block" exchange motors
Mercedes-Benz being one with the best quality and warranty.

better to find a 'quiet' one

Daniel H
08-11-2005, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't pay more than a grand for the car sight unseen, and thats if you can do most of the work yourself. If not, you can easily sink a couple a thousand into the car having a shop do the work. Find a solid turbo diesel, You would find that car more pleasing than a regular diesel,
Good luck,
Daniel H

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index