Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

BevanBrook
08-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Its a silver 2004 XJ8 I bought from Bently Downers Grove/Luxury Motors in Downers Grove IL.

I cant say I particularly liked the dealer, the place is huge and crammed with cars, jock salesmen and house music blasting out, but the car is excellent, immaculate and unmarked. Best of all is that this was a 2004 at a decent price that wasnt an ex hertz rental car, with the uncertain effect on resale value and the mean spec that entails.

I must say these ex-rentals are everywhere, indeed luxury motors had 2 for sale, they always have the same spec - XJ8 with the alpine package and thats it. Some dealers dont even remove the no smoking and CDW insurance requirements stickers- makes it easier to spot, but carfax always lets you know anyway. Beware I have previously visited Jaguar dealers and been offered select edition cars at full retail prices that were undisclosed ex-rentals, so dont assume that high priced XJ at your dealer was a cossetted local trade...

Anyway, im delighted with the Jag, as is the family and we had a very pleasant trip down to indianna dunes national park revelling in the smooth and tranquil luxury. I took it out for a back roads blast as well, and I must say I was impressed, apart from the horrid conti eco-contacts squealing away, this is a car 5 series drivers should consider. The contis are going to have to go soon, anyone particularly recommend anything else?

RHankey
08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
If you search the the XJ8/XJR list, I think you'll see Pilot Sport's are common favorites. I've been happy with the Pilot Sport AS's that came on my 04-VDP. I use a set of 4 Pirelli's on an extra set of rims for winter.

B7series
08-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Don't know why Car and Driver was so critical of them. I've put 5K miles on my 05 XJR and think they hold up pretty well in turns. The only thing that I question is why Jaguar prefers to keep them around 30psi instead of at a higher pressure.

XJ8JCS
05-21-2006, 11:18 PM
My fist Jag and I love it. I am a former 540 driver and the difference is night an day. I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sports. They are what I have and I have ALWAYS ben happy with the ride of Michelins no matter what vehicle I put them on.

RHankey
05-22-2006, 08:53 AM
I believe Jag recommends lower tire pressure for a smoother ride. I've been running 5psi more than Jag's recommendations, resulting in more even tread wear.

wjhughes420384
10-01-2006, 07:57 AM
the Pirellis will be fine until about 15, 000, then you have to start turning up the Volume on your radio. by the time you reach 20K you have all the peace and tranquility of a 53 Chevy. get the Michelin Pilot sports. I have run them on My 97 740iL also. quiet, great in rain also.1997 740iL Artic Silver 17" M5 wheels 231k on odo

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index