Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

telulah
08-24-2005, 09:47 PM
I am currently looking at older Mercedes' (1975 thru 1985 +or- a few years) but am confused by all the different model designations.

Is there anywhere out there that I can find a listing of model designations and their explainations? After a couple of hours of searching I am no more informed than when I began. At this rate I will be in a nursing home before I have the info.

I'm not asking anyone to spend the time it would take to put something like this together just to point me to where I might be able to find the information. I need to know what I'm looking at, the price ranges are considerable and I don't mind paying for what I get in a car but I don't want to be taken advantage of because of ignorance.

Also, I see a lot of W followed by numbers, are these chasis designations?

Sorry for the complete ignorance, but hey, ignorance, unlike stupidity, can be cured.

thanks
telulah

Daniel H
08-25-2005, 09:02 PM
hope this link works, it's straight from mercedes.
Daniel H

c.d.iesel
08-25-2005, 09:43 PM
good link Daniel,
Telulah , whatever you do ,
when you find a car you like , arrange a 1-hour
diagnostic inspection with the local Mercedes-Benz dealer,
for a used car purchase inspection. They will list all the work needed and present you with a written estimate of parts and labor cost. The written estimate is a state law in many states.
Rust is most important to pinpoint as many/most of these cars now 20- 30 years old have a surprising amount of botched coverups for the right fish. Don't fall for a big worm? It's liable to be fake.

and ask here first for free.

maintainence records are most important. Anyone saying the dog
ate their's means it's time for you to exit fast.

happy hunting

telulah
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Daniel,

Thanks for the great link!

c.d.iesel,

Good advise, my dog ate my homework once or twice in highschool. :-)

We have locally mobile vehicle inspectors who will do diagnostics for a small fee but not give estimates. The dealer is a good option. (more info for the buck)

Rust isn't too big a deal where I live since our roads are never salted but anything that has spent time on the coast here is suspect. Still any car of this age can have some problems that need to be watched for. This is one I probably would have overlooked.

Thank you both for your time.

telulah

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index