Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : '04 XJR Interior-Leather or Vinyl?

TIMEEXPOSURE
09-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Since buying my '04 XJR four months ago, I have adopted a new hobby: auto detailing. I have different products for treating and conditioning leather and vinyl/plastic/rubber. However, a call to U.S. Jaguar has me confused. They claim (after contacting the factory) that all but the rear door kick panels is leather. This means the dash, upper and middle door panels, center console/cowl, etc. I find this hard to believe, but what other source do I have? Is there anyone who knows for certain which parts are leather and which is vinyl/plastic? Or are all those parts truly leather? Help!

worf
09-15-2005, 08:06 PM
I believe that it is indeed all leather. Most fine cars do put leather throughout the dash (which is why a Ferrari's dash is often contracted and cracked). If the dealer told you so after they contacted the factory then it seems even more likley to me. I'm sure you could contact the factory directly, I toured it once....really nice poeple (though the teeth and ears......heh).

RHankey
09-16-2005, 07:57 AM
I don't believe everything is leather - not even on the VDP's.

On XJ/XJR, I recall reading somewhere that only the "seating surfaces" of the seats are advertised as leather. If so, the sides and backs are likely fake leather. As to the doors and center console, I believe a mixture of leather and fake leather are used - some pieces are a little more obvious to discern than others (like the horizonal surface surrounding the gear shift, and the insides of the door pockets - both of which I'm sure are fake). The 04 and newer XJ/XJR dash are non-covered plastic.

On the VDP, the seats are supposed to be fully leather, and do feel so. I believe the doors and the console covered the same as the XL/XJR. And the dash is covered with fake leather.

Time Exposure
09-16-2005, 12:16 PM
A detail forum offered the following advice: vinyl treatment products are more aggressive than leather treatment products, but leather treatment products still offer a level of preservation and protection for vinyl. Looks like I'll just use the leather stuff on the vinyl, too. Heck, as often as I baby my car, no part of it will have a chance to deteriorate (is there such a thing as too much love?)

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index