Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 545i, Hello E55 AMG Wagon!

antoszm
09-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Am taking delivery of new E55 wagon and bidding farewell to my '04 545i. Can't compare the two (it's like comparing CART to F1) and I wasn't unhappy with the BMW (styling? some hate it, young people really seem to like it, I always felt the profile was a bit plain with very plain rear quarterpanels) and it handled well and was comfortable. Stinky A/C, squeaky seals, cheap cupholders and sometimes funky electronics are reported issues and I saw them too. Excellent trunk space for a sedan, cheap passthrough which broke. Very responsive. Can't put my finger on it but some level of German class or panache is missing somewhere. Put on some AC Schnitzer gear on it - on another forum someone posted a similar car and one comment was that it was like a "kitted out Kia Rio". A bit of a low blow there, but some element of truth.

E55 looks to be another story. Have had 3 E Wagons before ('90 4matic, '94 RWD, '98 4matic). The '94 was the best of the group; solid, German feel to handling. '98 was a departure with a lighter steering feel and a smooth but slightly boatish ride. The E55 seems to have gone bad to the solid feel with one of the best rides I may have ever felt; great handling but kind to the occupants. And of course it's a frickin rocket. Style's nice - better than sedan IMHO.

Just curious to know if anyone out there has suggestions or things to watch out for in this new vehicle.

antoszm
09-23-2005, 01:53 AM
I forgot... any suggestions for 19" or 20" wheels for my to get next summer?

Kaptain
09-25-2005, 04:38 PM
http://fikse.com/

dkreidel
10-09-2005, 02:20 PM
and bought a 2005 E55 sedan. 2 problem areas: rough idle(fuel injection issues, and "tracking" spark plugs), and really, really soft AMG wheels. I sold my rotten 2004 645 and bought the E55 - my first MB. All in all , a really good car!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index