Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

rebelreiver
10-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I have owned my 04 X350 for two years now. After not driving it for a week, I noticed the left (US driver's side) front was noticeably lower like the tire was flat. The tire was just fine but both front suspensions were lower, more so on the left. When I opened the driver's door the suspension leveled. I expected that the system would readjust level at 24 Hr. intervals. Now when I start the car after sitting for more then a few hours, the front suspensions drop down and re-level. I don't ever remember this phenomenon happening in the past two years.

Just to check, I measured the four corners from the ground at corresponding points for both front and rear. The rear corners for each wheel matched exactly. The front left side is 0.5 inches lower then the corresponding point on the right. this is visually identifiable by looking at the front of the car.

Has anyone noticed their air suspension behaving this way?http://forums1.roadfly.org/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=77362

Paul
10-09-2005, 12:28 PM
My '04 did this once. It sat at an airport for 5 days and when I got to the car the driver's corner looked lower. It did re-level as soon as I got into the car. Took the car to the dealer, I had them lower the car by telling the WDS that the car was sitting higher than the actual and it has not done it since.

RHankey
10-13-2005, 07:41 AM
I haven't noticed any indications with my 04 where one corner was lower than the other three. But the odd and seemingly unrepeatble timing of the re-leveling might be normal, even when you'd think the car is fully shutdown. My suspension has sometimes come to life (presumably to re-level) while I've been jacking up a corner to swap summer/winter wheels, or by me merely sitting on the rear bumper - both situations with the car off and locked. I also notice it from time to time re-leveling while I'm idling at a stop light. I'd presume this is all normal behavour.

If one corner appears to drop lower on a regular basis while on flat pavement, I'd suspect you could have a possible air leak or a height sensor problem on that corner. I'm not sure if our car's provide a message when there's an air leak, causing the compressor to work more frequently than normal.

B7series
10-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I can confirm that my '05 does re-level on occasion. Sometimes I coudl be at a red light when I think that I feel the car releveling. It's slight though but noticeable. I've seen and heard it several times after walking away from the car in my garage.

waynenadel
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
went to the car and noticed lower all round turned engine on and car shows a light saying to low to drive came on morning cold any fuses or what ? 2005 xj8 thanks

rebelreiver
12-31-2009, 01:28 PM

rebelreiver
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
When you turn on the ignition or start the car can you hear the compressor? It is located behind the front bumper. If not, it may be a fuse or more likely a dead compressor. If the compressor is running but unable to fill the reservoir, check for a bad hose or connection. The compressor has an automatic shutoff after several minutes. The compressor shutoff message will override the "too Low to drive" message if the compressor was working.http://forums1.roadfly.org/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=77362

daxter1987
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Here is a great article on how the XJ Air Suspension works (http://mycararticles.blogspot.com/2011/06/xj-vehicle-dynamic-suspension.html)

http://mycararticles.blogspot.com/2011/06/xj-vehicle-dynamic-suspension.html

rebelreiver
07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Interesting article with somme original observation as to how the air suspension works. It has evolved over the years from the original four height sensors to the later three sensor system. The purpose for the air suspension is listed in the X350 Technical guide (part of the service manual package):

With the introduction of the lightweight aluminum body,
the payload of the new XJ is now a higher percentage of
the vehicle’s total weight. To accommodate this reduction
in body-weight a vehicle with a conventional coil-spring
suspension would need either:

• an increase in unladen height, or
• a higher spring-rate.

Both of which would mean a compromise between driving
dynamics, ride comfort and the vehicle’s stance appearance.
To overcome these compromises and maintain a constant
vehicle height independent of load changes, the XJ features a
newly developed four-corner air suspension system in place
of the coil-spring suspension.
Air suspension ensures maximum spring travel is always
available providing excellent ride comfort and optimum
driving safety. Another benefit of the system is the ability
to lower the vehicle at a configured road speed to improve
aerodynamic efficiency and further improve vehicle stability
and fuel efficiency. The air suspension system is fully
automatic, requiring no driver intervention.
The air suspension is available in either standard ride or sport
ride derivatives depending on vehicle specification.

As far as reliability goes, I have not experienced a strut failure since I purchased my MY2004 X350 in Aug. 2003. I did have a software/valve issue after about 2 years which righted itself after 24hrs and was remedied with a software upgrade, never to occur again. I live in the L.A. county area which is known to be destructive to rubber because of the ozone pollution . To date, other owners that I know in the area also have their original struts, one XJ approaching 80K miles. Early production cars did exhibit some compressor failures. Leaky hoses/fittings appear to be the most common issue.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index