Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ernie Slubik
10-30-2005, 02:06 PM
I have discovered that my 1991 300TE 4-Matic middle seatbacks do not fold forward. Perhaps I am missing something here...the seat bottoms fold forward with no problem. The headrests come out OK. There is a rear net/tonneau cover attached to the left seat that I cannot remove because I cannot fold the seatback forward.
My understanding from the owner's manual is that when the rear door is opened that will unlock the latch that holds the respective seatback in place. I can see where the seatback is latched on each outboard side, but I cannot get that part to unlatch.
Am I missing something here, or is there a fuse that controls these latches that I might have to replace?
Any help would be much appreciated!!
Ernie

valter
08-04-2006, 09:54 AM
i had same problem too weeks ago.
used a lever to free each backrest.
no problem, and no catch. is good.

csabo
10-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Did you figure out the mechanism for holding the rear seats vertical?
I had the same problem and tried all sorts of things till I finally found a diagram of the latches.

There's one on the door jamb. It has a black plastic head on it. When the door is closed, it holds the latch in and stops the seat from moving. Open the door and make sure that the latch pops out. The lever is such that when it's out, it's NOT holding the seat from moving.

There's another under the seat bottom. The bottom has to be swung up and out of the way before you can lower the back. On my TE, that was the latch that was stuck. It's spring loaded. Raise the bottom cushion and snap that latch several times. You can't tell if this latch has released like you can with the door one.

Once both latches have been released, the seat moves without any real problems. The people who say that you may have to kick the seat back to get it to move are wrong. If kicking it frees it, then all you did was make one of those two latches retract.

Each side of the rear seat has it's own set of latches. So work on one side at a time. It MAY help to spray some WD40 on the latch. You can get in there with the red plastic straw supplied with the can. Just slide it into the area that the latch goes through.

Charlie

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index