Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

jnelson
11-16-2005, 09:45 AM
I am having what appears to be a pretty bad oil leak from the timing chain cover gasket. Is it possible to remove the cover without pulling the head? Top end is pretty clean and I have good compression so I would like to limit my problems. My only concern is that the spindle for the intermediate timing gear is housed in the cover and I do not want to create an alignment problem.

tia
Jon L. Nelson
'68 Series 1 1/2

euromeccanicany
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
You can do it, but it probably isn't worth the effort. You will need to drop the oil pan enough to allow the cover to slip out. You also need to remove the four studs in the head which go through the cover, as well as the two which come up from the cover in the front. Getting the thing off and back on again without damaging the head gasket will be a challenge. If the leak is high up, you might try removing the cam covers and applying silicone sealer from the inside. First clean the surface around the leaky joint, then smear the area. Try not to use too much, as you do not want the oil pump to pick up strings or globs of silicone! Michael Shiffer
EuroMeccanica, Inc.
Mount Vernon, NY

jnelson
11-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I was going to pull the oil pan anyway to get at the oil pump so I may see how it goes.

appreciate the insight.

Jon L. Nelson
'1992 850i, 6-speed, et al.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index