Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Landcruiser BJ42
11-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi,

Mom's old 240D (1978) has a squeeling accessory in the engine compartment under load in 1st gear, decel in other gears etc. One of the indicators on the left side of the dash came on briefly--I believe this is all the alternator but wanted to check to be sure (she can't find the manuals!)

So this is the light with the circle in the middle and 3 dashes on either side of the circle arrange in a pair of arcs. Alt?

Tnx,
B

1983 Toyota Landcruiser BJ42, imported from Canada, running BioD!

euromeccanicany
11-29-2005, 09:48 AM
The light is a brake pad warning light. It is hooked up to wires embedded in the front pads. If the pad wears down to the wire, it grounds against the brake rotor and lights the light. This will be intermittent at first, only happening when you step on the brake. Sometimes the sensor wires ground out on other things, so you need to have the pads looked at. The squealing noise is almost certainly unrelated if it is coming from a belt, which sounds likely.Michael Shiffer
EuroMeccanica, Inc.
Mount Vernon, NY

Landcruiser BJ42
11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks-- we found the manuals and I realized my folly. Same system on my old Porsche 944. BUT--this like was coming on while cruising on the freeway, and didn't seem to be correlated with hitting the breaks. Can it possibly indicate a funky wiring situation?

I'll check the pads when I get at the

BTW is it just me or is the symbol on this light a little too arbitrary? I mean, it doesn't look at all like brake bads or disc brakes... maybe drum shoes. I know, probably difficult making a symbol that can be known internationally.

Tx again,
B

dembooks
12-16-2005, 12:05 PM

dembooks
12-16-2005, 03:58 PM
CLICKUS DA LINKUS:
CLICK THIS LINK AND GO TO PAGE 22 OF THE MANUAL FOR SYMBOLS (http://publish.bmwusa.com/OwnManual/2001Manual-Mroadster-coupe.pdf)

djw
09-14-2007, 02:02 PM
it is you brake wear light.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index