Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about my 1st scheduled service

B7series
01-09-2006, 02:52 AM
I brought my '05 XJR in for it's first 10K mile service on Friday and the dealer hounded me on doing a fuel injector service for $300 and a tire rotation and balance for $185. Is it customary at this early stage to require a fuel injector service? The tire rotation is OK but a balance at 10K? Other than this, I needed new belts for a couple of sqeaks.

RHankey
01-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Why did the dealer think you needed a fuel injector service? Did you report wheel balancing issues?

Unless your engine was running rough from taking in a bad tank of gas and your car was shaking from out of balance wheels, it sounds like your dealer is politely suggesting that you find someone else to perform your future services.

In your owners manual package, there are tables listing the service intervals for various components of your car. I don't recall fuel injectors being listed (certainly not at your low mileage). And if I recall correctly Jag discourages wheel rotation, though this is almost as contentious as oil change intervals.

Other than oil changes, my 04 XJ-VDP hasn't needed anything.

B7series
01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Not only did the dealer suggest the injector service and wheel balancing to me, they wrote on the invoice that it was recommended and the customer denied it. So, although I had a gut feeling that this was a way of upcharging the service, part of me said that maybe it's something that's necessary for an XJ.

Your response is appreciated. The only mechanical problem was that the belts needed replacement and I have a defective key fob. Should I rotate the tires, or leave them alone?

RHankey
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
As I mentioned previously, I believe the Jag owners manuals discourage rotating tires. But if you search around, you'll likely find that there are different schools of thought on this topic. The Jag owners manual also recommends 10,000 mile oil changes, which is even more contentous topic.

I do rotate my wheels front to back. Like most Jag's, I noticed that the inner edges of the front tires were wearing more quickly, so the rotating should help extend tire life. I live in snow belt, so I rotate the wheels as part of switching between my winter and summer wheels. I swap the wheels myself in my driveway.

Vic
01-13-2006, 10:40 AM
There is a TSB on doing an injector service if there is a problem with rough running. That would be covered under your warranty.

We recommend addding a can of injector cleaner to the fuel tank at each service.

We do often recommend a tire rotation and balancing but that is optional.

Mark in SBA
01-14-2006, 09:30 PM
What an absolute load of crock. I'd strangle the first service writer who thought I was that gullible. Then I'd leave.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index