Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

brisjones
01-09-2006, 05:18 PM
NEED HELP!!
I can't find any info on the climate control for '82 320i.
Of the 3 dials on the dash, the first is temp, second is fan speed, but I don't know what the third one does. nothing happens when I turn it. I can't get hot air to blow from anywhere but the floor. I do get all vents to blow cold air though. Any thoughts?

Lance
01-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Right knob selects output...Defrost vents, floor, or both. Or OFF. Arrows indicate where.

As for the cold air in the vents....There is one big lever to the right with an open circle and an closed circle. Open circle means fresh air from outsdie. Closed circle is no fresh air from outside. The other little vents also have these levers and indicators, and direct fresh (cold) air from outside. Close them off in the winter time.

If the right knob to which you referred offers no resistance when turned, the cable could be broken (not uncommon). Replacement is knd of a pain in the neck. If you feel a little resistance when turning it, it is porbably working just fine.

BigGuy
01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Lance is right, but often the cable itself is fine. The problem is the cable is held in place with a plastic nub on the back of the climate control panel. Then the inner wire connects to the rotary knob. If the nub has broken off, then the rotary knob will turn but the inner wire will not move relative to the sheath. The problem is the control panels get brittle and break. Take out the glove box and you can look and feel behind the control panel. As I've written before, these were complicated, lousy pieces of plastic, a crappy choice of materials. And buying a used one from a wrecked car will not be any help because it will be brittle, too.

brisjones
01-10-2006, 05:47 PM
thanks for the help! I am new to the board but I have had my '82 320i for almost a year now. Only $900 and runs perfect! any suggestions for keeping it fit would be great.

Lance
01-10-2006, 08:47 PM
1) Regular oil changes.

2) Re-adjust your rear drum brakes every 6 months (or have it done). They need to be adjusted manually.

3) Don't let it overheat....EVER. These engines are basically bulletproof, except for overheating. If you bought it used, have the cooling system gone over before Spring arives. Replacing a few hoses and the thermostat is probably a good idea at that time.

4) Don't ride the clutch.

gjh320i
01-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I would suggest you call or go online to Bavauto.com, I had the control cable holder on the back of mine broken(very common on these). I searched high and low online, ebay etc and couldnt find any, even bought one or two used with the hopes of finding one. I finally decided the 185.00 dollars or so for the main plate was worth the hassle. These tings are 20+ years and the plastic they made the climate control bases are a piece of crap.

BigGuy
01-26-2006, 07:02 PM
You opinion of the quality of the plastic climate control panel is tame compared to what I call them.

gjh320i
01-27-2006, 10:54 PM
yep I know but tryin to be nice

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index