Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Wet Floors!

brisjones
02-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know of a common cause for the entire floor of the car to be flooded? My carpets are always soaked even if the car is not driven in wet weather. I have checked the moon roof and the windows and there are no leaks at all. I did notice that there is water in the door jambs coming out of the hole for the power mirrors sometimes. What else could be doing this? My carpets are actually frozen solid with water!

Geoff
02-16-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd suspect a possible windshield leak, that soaks the rug from the front to back.
G.

BigGuy
02-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Bris, if you do not have an antifreeze leak, than the water must be entering the body when you drive in or park in the rain. The most common leak places are:
1. Sunroof. You said you checked this source.
2. The windshield gasket. This latter is a real pain to fix. You need to remove the windshield, fix the rust, and install a new gasket. The whole procedure is expensive.
3. Door drains. Check if yours are clear. You can poke a wire in each hole to dislodge sludge.
4. Possibly the rear flip-out windows if they do not seat properly.

li-engineer
03-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Another source of water is the doors. Under the door panel
is a layer of plastic that is glued to the door. If the plastic
sheeting is not properly glued along the bottom, then water
entering the door past the window seal (it's not a waterproof
seal) will drip onto the plastic, past where it should have
been sealed and then into the cabin. There are slits punched
into the door along the bottom and inch or so up that allow
the water to drain off the plastic into the door and then out.

Either the glue ages and doesn't hold or, more likely, someone
had the panel and plastic off to do a repair and didn't realize
that the plastic needs to be glued along the bottom and a little
on the sides.

Eric J
79 323i

BigGuy
03-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Eric, that is a great hint, and the only place I have not checked. Thanks! I'll open my door next weekend. I recall that the plastic sheeting had deteriorated badly, but tape may fix it. Some years ago, I scraped rust in the bottom of the door and repainted it, and maybe I did not stick the plastic properly in its place.

lamna
04-13-2006, 02:58 AM
on the gasket around the winshield it seeps in as the gastket shrinks over time. i just used black duct tape as a quick fix. also the sunroof if you have one is a source for leakage as the drain tubes clog also if the water is in the glove box thats the winshield gasket for sure. on the sunroof leak you can use silicone seal if the roof doesnt work. i leave a 3 X 4 sheet of plywood on my canoe rack. its not astetic but i prevents leakage along with the winshield gaskettaped

JBDamkaer
04-15-2006, 04:09 PM
I found the major areas are the windshield seal (filling glove box too)and the rear vents behind rear-side windows.The more common is the windshield seal...I have a seasonal lake in my 80....Rainy season turns pass. side of care into a lake.Car is basically a chassis for the good running motor....body and suspension are too far gone...I drove the wheels off of it...Owned it for 8 years now.
I would suggest replacing windshield gasket and related components..

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index