Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for your help/advocacy

JurgenK
02-24-2006, 12:35 AM
I always had a plan of getting a new XK8 sometime this year or next. When the Ian McAllum advanced lightweight coupe was announced it shifted my attention away from the current XK, particularly with the promise of stiffer handling and torsional rigidity, which actually did bother me about the old XK8. The new XK8 with its sundry improvements makes it all but impossible that I will get an old XK8.

I've thought it over for about 6 months now, and have decided that I won't be going the way of the new XK8 when I purchase a new car this spring.

The styling is neither sufficiently progressive or conservative to elicit an emotional reaction that will impel me to put down 75 to 80k of money. Indeed I would have preferred a very mild facelift to the old design with all of the technical innovations internally and to the aluminum skin, much like the new XJ8, and despite all the criticism that that approach has garnered in that case. I've never found the styling to be a critical fault on the old XK8, except perhaps for a slightly banal rear end which could easily be fixed.

I've initially enjoyed the advocacy on the old XK forum, and now on this new XK forum, as it was exciting to hear details about the technological innovations and see references to reviews and test drives I wouldn't have found on my own.

I've made several personal observations, though.

Styling has to be forward looking.

Once Jaguar features show up on a Taurus or a Hyundai, Jaguar has to outdo themselves to come up with something distinctive.

When somebody tells me that the original Porsche 356 was more or less a modified Bettle that does not bother me in the least, there's still something about that car that elicits an emotional reaction. But when others see Taurus, Nissan 350Z, Hyundai Tiburon, and Toyota Solara in the new XK coupe and convertible, it somehow has changed my way of looking at the XK, and makes it very hard for me to embrace.

I think I'll be looking at the 911 C2 or C4. The evolutionary styling from the folks in Stuttgart has only occasionally disappointed.

Jose'
02-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey. I'm sorry to hear that you are not getting an XK. The styling does look much different in person and the only cars it really resembles are the DB9 and the current XK. Let us know how you like your xk8.

torags
03-05-2006, 11:35 PM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index