Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Censorship issue

GR8WHYT
03-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Charlie - I am wondering how and why certain words get censored on Roadfly forums. I can understand foul language. I can almost understand censorship of competing websites, even though I personally disagree with it. However, on the E24 board, we have now run into the situation where the word s-h-a-r-k is being censored. If you are unfamiliar with the term, it is a nickname for the original BMW Six series. I cannot see where this should pose any problem to Roadfly or any of its communities. Could you look into this and correct it, or please give us a reasonable explanation as to why it is being prohibited? Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter...

---JT
'89 635CSi
'86 Alpina B7/1 Turbo Coupe, #72
'99 528i Sport - wife's grocery getter

GR8WHYT
03-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Shark isn't being censored. Someone reported that incorrectly. What is being censored is b-i-m-m-e-r-f-e-s-t. Which is just about as silly, to be honest.

Don't be so defensive, guys. Roadfly is a great place, and I'd like for it to stay that way. I talk you up on other forums I visit, and I'd like the opportunity to do the same here without it getting "[Oops!]'d." You've got a good product - you should have faith that that in itself will draw readership. Banning the name of a competitor comes off as petty and probably causes you more readership loss than it prevents. Lighten up - more people who wander away because they saw a competing site's name here will come back than will those who you've chased away with your heavy-handedness.

---JT
'89 635CSi

iam4ecu
03-27-2006, 02:27 PM
maintain my InnerCircle status and come here if the censorship of non-offensive material continues. Blocking words you consider representing competition seems very short-sighted. I'll grant there is a fine line sometimes between posting content and advertising other sites, but in the end I think the quality of the community wins out, and moderation of the posts for true off-topic advertising can be managed.

Please, focus the censorship on maintianing the quality of the community rather than limiting dialog you consider competitive - I promise you'll keep more of your customers that way.

charlie
03-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Here's a little history. Every other BMW forum out there was started by people who thought they could run a forum better. Yes, that's right everyone of them. Roadfly is by far the oldest BMW forum and probably the oldest general automotive forum.

When these folks start their forums they don't have any traffic. It has been common practice for each of them to spam our forums with their links so they can bulid traffic to their site. B*immerf*est was actually one of the biggest offenders and still is to this day. Whenever their traffic slips a little the admins, principals, etc. simply send a bunch of trolls over here to post links back to their site. It's unfortunate but there's not much we can do about it on our end.

Of course it's also true that there's not a single piece of information that's available on any of the "johnny come lately" sites that isn't in Roadfly forum archives. Search is your friend. ;-)

GR8WHYT
03-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the response, Charlie. And I appreciate your explanation. At the same time, you've added a great tool in the mod-o-matic, with which we can help you weed out the garbage. I've made use of it several times. Let us help you practice some selective censorship, instead of the blanket approach. I'd like to be able to say I've got the greatest b-i-m-m-e-r in the world and not have it come out "I've got the greatest [Oops!] in the world!" ;-) I've been around here since it was bimmer.org, and the only thing that will chase me away is if the management of the forum becomes too unreasonable.

I do visit and participate in competitor forums, and probably always will because each has its own strengths. In Roadfly's case, you've captured a great depth and breadth of experience, especially in the E24 forum where I spend most of my time (and the crowd there is pretty fun, too!). The archive search is a killer tool. Ever think of the next natural progression - a knowledge base? I do CRM software for a living, and from my perspective you have all the building blocks necessary to create a very marketable product. You should think about it. Something like that might make this tightwad loosen that deathgrip on his wallet... ;-)

---JT
'89 635CSi

charlie
04-05-2006, 11:10 AM
here's bimmer being spelled out w/ no Oops!

Sounds like another case of internet rumors gone wild.

GR8WHYT
04-07-2006, 10:16 AM
OK, so it's bimmer - f - e - s - t. Still poses problems when folks are trying to coordinate schedules to travel together. Like I said previously, you've provided us the ability to help fight the spam with the mod-o-matic. Let's fight the spam then, and leave blanket censorship of particular words out of it. It makes for a much more pleasant experience here...

---JT
'89 635CSi

charlie
04-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Considering the owners/moderators at that site are probably the top offender I can promise you that they're not coming off the list. Not only do some of the chiefs over at that site spam like crazy they also blatantly lie on their forum and deny their practices. Sorry, that just can't happen. Our goal is to keep people like that on the fringes of the community so they don't infect the masses.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index