Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

compuz1
04-03-2006, 07:08 PM
After owning a '97 SL500 and '00 XK8 I now have a '04 SL500... It's being traded in this summer for one of these. The SL quality has gone down dramatically from the previous generation.
I have numerous problems including constantly dead batteries, three bad alternators, bad roof, poor plastic fittings (what's up with a lack of wood), faulty braking system, water leaks (in a hardtop!), plus terrible service. All in the SL has been to the shop (by flatbed and my own power) more times than I care to think about. I remember someone mentioning how foolish I was to buy the Super V8 instead of replacing my S600 with a S or 7-series. How wrong they were. My Super V8 NEVER has gone to the shop outside of maintenance, is infinitely more comfortable than a 7-series or S-class, and has no cryptic buttons I donít care to figure out. I will be going to Jag exclusively from now on. The entire experience is sublime... Plus they don't cheap out and make you pay for service (as you now must do on '05 SL's).

"Say Hello, Wave Goodbye!" - David Gray

urbansouljah
04-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the board.

lifesmvp875
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
I like Mercedes Benz products but your right there is a difference in quality. Old Mercedes were designed and engineered to be the best possible quality and then they figured out how much they had to charge for them. New Mercedes have a determined price and then they build the car around that. We had a 1990 300SE and that car was awsome quality. It needed nothing in the first 100K beyond reg maint. It was built like a bank vault and if I had to pick a car to have the big accident with thats where I would feel safest. My Jaguar has been trouble free also for the 6 years I have been driving it, just regular maintainance. It doesn't feel as solid as a Benz but a lot of that has to do with it being a convertible. I have not driven the new SL but the 90's model was rock solid. Nothing beats the Jag for style....grace, pace, and not much space. Enjoy your new Jaguar!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index