Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 2005 XJR Lowering with (ECATS)

scsimike
05-12-2006, 12:29 AM
I recently purchased a used 2005 XJR and want to lower the ride height. I understand the ecats system allows for trim adjustments that can accomplish this. Does anyone have knowledge of how to adjust the height, either through this method or any other method. I have tried to acquire information from Jaguar, to no avail.

Jaguar told me the height is adjustable, with new height sensor rods installed, but I can't find anyone to do it.

I believe the overall appearance will be improved and more "balanced" if the body was a little lower. It's a beautiful car, but rides considerably higher than the 99 XJR I traded in. Jaguar informed me of the height sensors, but disavows any complicity.
I have been looking for a performance shop to do the work, but there are very few Jaguar performance shops, just BMWs and the like.
Can you suggest any west coast shops around San Francisco?

RHankey
05-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't believe you need to replace any parts to adjust ride height. I believe it's simply a matter of telling CATS via WDS that the car is sitting higher than it really is.

I'm not sure if this will cause any problems like rubbing or comprimised handling at highway speeds when the car attempts to adjust to a lower ride height.

scsimike
05-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I am about to visit a local Jag wrench who says he can put the car in "transport mode" and it will ride lower. Have you ever heard of this and how low will it ride?

BIGJIM
05-14-2006, 08:49 AM
You do not want the car in the transport mode. It is quite simple to do any dealer can do it just hook up WDS (a dealer special tool) & go to the ride height program. You may to ask a service advisor to speak with a tech but they should know how to do this.

scsimike
05-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Jim,
After the ride height change, the mechanic told me that I didn't need to align the wheels because we didn't change any settings. I bought into this because I thought the car adjusted the ride height inself, and it does, just not that much. Since changing the height by -1 inch, the wheels are in at the top and out at the bottom. Am I correct that I must re-align the wheels after a change to the ride height ?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Pat
05-16-2006, 09:51 PM
I would go back to the dealer and have the wheels realigned. Although I am not a total expert on the matter, I think that the angles the wheels are at before the ride lowering would have an affect on tire wear after you have lowered the car.

Have you any pictures?

scsimike
05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Not yet, but I promise I will post some soon, assuming I can figure out how to post them.
It is amazingly easy to modify the height and has a stiking effect on the appearance as well as the handling being really different, much more positive. The car used to feel more like a passenger car, now more like a race car.
After looking at the camber just sitting I knew I had to realign so
I went down to Big O and had it aligned today and ran out of adjustment on camber and caster by 0.5 degrees (barely out) and kinda agreed that I should raise it back up 1/4 inch. Even though I only dropped it by 25mm, it really dropped about 2 inches. I will adjust and realign. I should have enough adjustment then to realign with room to spare.
Anyway, I'll let you know. And, thanks for your help.

Paramount
08-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Our local dealer will not do this, how happy was yours to do it, and how did you ask, did they apply any conditions ?

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index