Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Greg B
12-16-1998, 06:19 PM
Hi. <br>Anybody have experience replacing the heater core on an early 80's 7 series? Thinking about giving it a go myself.<br>Also I need a workshop manual (and owners) manual for this car. Anywhere in the Puget Sound area where I can find one of these...they seem to be rare as hen's teeth.

Callan
01-02-1999, 04:13 PM
You need to pull the center console out. You don't need to pull either the dashboard or the heater box out. After r&r the console you'll remove the front cover of the heater box to access the core. Try to remove as much coolant from the core first by blowing air through the core tubes/ heater hoses if possible.Put towels on the floor as well to catch the odd flood .Be gentle with any vacuum hoses and elec. conns. you encounter[they're old remember] Now is a real good time to change any of the 1.2 watt bulbs that light up the console.I'll check our repair manuals at work to see if there are clear views&procedures on r&r the core and send info on monday the 4.

Dave W.
01-06-1999, 02:27 PM
Callan (or anyone else with input),<br>A friend and I are about to try the heater core replacement on his '83 733i. Is the procedure approximately the same for the '83 as for the '81?<br>Chilton's is not clear about this -- it lists one procedure that involves discharging the A/C, etc. and one that is as relatively simple as the one you suggest. Naturally, we hope for the simple one. Could you send copies of anything you found for Greg B? Thanks.

Callan
01-16-1999, 06:18 PM
Touch not the A/C system and you'll be ok. As I told Greg B. by phone BMW's own factory repair manual has jack on R&R the heater core of 7-series cars. The '83 should be the same for the previous written info. The only thing usefull I could send Greg B. was a picture[s] view of the heater box with all the relevant vacuum lines and motors/controls. If you think this will help, let me know.

Miguel Casas
02-20-1999, 10:25 AM
<i>: Touch not the A/C system and you'll be ok. As I told Greg B. by phone BMW's own factory repair manual has jack on R&R the heater core of 7-series cars. The '83 should be the same for the previous written info. The only thing usefull I could send Greg B. was a picture[s] view of the heater box with all the relevant vacuum lines and motors/controls. If you think this will help, let me know.<p></i>

Miguel t Casas
02-20-1999, 10:28 AM
I have an 80 733i that needs the heater core replaced. I would really appreciate any information you could send me.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index