Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Skeptical1
01-10-1999, 04:24 PM
A BMW mechanic said I need a new head gasket to fix a recent, but significant, oil leak on my well-maintained (146K) car. The compression is still great, and the car runs very smooth. He mentioned a "design" problem with the ??? bolts and tried tightening them down, but the leak remains. He also said that the problem lies in the "oil return". Before I invest $1,000+ on a new head gasket, do you have any other possible causes I could look into? Thanks!

Callan
01-16-1999, 06:38 PM
Remain a skeptic on this one. The "headbolt" problem your wrench talked about was the infamous M-20 engine not the bigger M-30 6-cyl. in your car. The procedure for stopping oil leaks on a good{not hopeless headgasket} engine is this.. Remove the valve cover and loosen one headbolt at a time[you will only loosen &tighten one bolt at a time] starting with the center of the head. Use a good torque wrench to retighten the bolt you just loosened in 3 steps. First set the wrench to 25lbs. Tighten bolt to that spec, then go to 45lbs. and after that use a final setting of 65lbs . put a chalk mark on each bolt you've worked so you don't get confused. Lots of manuals have the correct order in which bolts to do this or torque sequence as it's called. As long as the headgasket is not too brittle and assuming no one is mistaking the oil pressure switch or the rear cyl. plate gasket leaking oil[hint hint] for a headgasket problem this should work fine. At least it's a cheaper attempt than to replace the headgasket or look at replacing the valve train while the cyl. head is off. Good Luck..

Callan
01-23-1999, 02:39 PM
<i>: A BMW mechanic said I need a new head gasket to fix a recent, but significant, oil leak on my well-maintained (146K) car. The compression is still great, and the car runs very smooth. He mentioned a "design" problem with the ??? bolts and tried tightening them down, but the leak remains. He also said that the problem lies in the "oil return". Before I invest $1,000+ on a new head gasket, do you have any other possible causes I could look into? Thanks! <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index