Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Bill McHugh
02-09-1999, 07:26 PM
Our 1985 735Ia HVAC system works well, but the function buttons will not stay in, meaning I can't choose defrost, heat, etc. Temp and fan work fine and blow air, hot or cold. I think I pushed the buttons too fast when I first bought the car in December. Can these be reset somehow? Also, the power windows, fuzzbuster won't come on until the heat is ready and fan comes on...Is this normal? <p>Otherwise the car's in great shape, 91,000 miles, no winters until now, loads of fun.

Callan
02-09-1999, 07:52 PM
The power windows and any acces. should work as soon as you start the car. There should not be a tie in to the HVAC system. As far as the sick function buttons; the spring that works the cam lock inside the buttons is getting weak. You can actually use a cheap ballpoint pen,the kind with a push button on the end,to repair this problem. <br>You will have to remove the button assembly and disassemble it on the bottom section only to access the sliding lock assembly. Carefully remove the old tiny spring and cut the new donor spring to same length. It will make the effort to push the buttons in alittle harder but not too much.

Bill McHugh
02-10-1999, 09:58 PM
<i>: Callan, thanks for the response to my HVAC Trouble. I'm going to fix it in the next few weeks...Any hints on my accessory trouble? Previous owner installed an alarm system...could that have done it? Thanks again.<p></i>

Callan
02-11-1999, 09:46 PM
It almost sounds like someone bypassed the normal power circuit for your windows on this car. There is a circuit breaker[well there should be] for the windows that's mounted on the drivers kickpanel just to the lower right of the steering column. The relay for the windows is to the left of the column and is located in a wiring branch holder for lots of wire junctions. It's visible once you drop the kick panel and you can use the wire colors to be sure that it's the right one. <br>If either part has failed someone may have routed around them to get the windows working again. Let me know if you want the wire colors to track this down.

Bruce D. Schwartz
02-16-1999, 02:03 AM
<br>: The power windows and any acces. should work as soon as you start the car. There should not be a tie in to the HVAC system. As far as the sick function buttons; the spring that works the cam lock inside the buttons is getting weak. You can actually use a cheap ballpoint pen,the kind with a push button on the end,to repair this problem. <br>: You will have to remove the button assembly and disassemble it on the bottom section only to access the sliding lock assembly. Carefully remove the old tiny spring and cut the new donor spring to same length. It will make the effort to push the buttons in alittle harder but not too much.<p>Callan,<p>thankyou for the insight, I just purchased an 84' 745i on 2/15/99 with the same HVAC sick function buttons.<p>Bruce

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index