Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

david falkner
02-12-1999, 10:58 PM
When removing the steering wheel, what do you do with the airbag? There is a black wire with an orange connector attached to the center - should it be removed? Or should it all just be left to hang there while I'm replacing lights on the instrument cluster?

ron
02-18-1999, 12:44 AM
<i>: When removing the steering wheel, what do you do with the airbag? There is a black wire with an orange connector attached to the center - should it be removed? Or should it all just be left to hang there while I'm replacing lights on the instrument cluster?<p><br>David,<p>If you remove the black wire from the orange connector you will have to reset you SRS light via<br>a special resetting tool. Your local BMW dealer can do this for you. Extreme care must be used<br>so you don't inflate the airbad. You can pull the steering wheel and hold it in your lap while<br>pulling the instrument cluster. Slide the airbag module in between one of the spokes in the steering wheel to secure it during the cluster removal. Pull the cluster and position the wheel on the steering shaft loosly without the nut.<br>Replace ALL 21 bulbs in your cluster when you have it apart or you will have it apart again at least two more times. I have performed bulb<br>replacements on three 735i and iL cars and I don't<br>unhook the airbag. Be sure to get the steering wheel centered when you re-bolt the wheel.<p>Ron Bond<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index