Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Tim Collins
02-16-1999, 01:27 AM
I took my '88 735i into the gas station to get a new battery (have to take the back seat out, didn't feel like fooling around with it), and something strange happened. I wanted them to replace the battery, but apparently they taught my car German. Now, whenever I start her up, it says "Bitte Arsomethinidon'tremember", apparently German for "Fasten Your Seatbelt". Everything else works fine (i.e. trip comp in miles, it says "Range", etc) but I was wondering if it's possible to reset this back, and why did it happen? Should I be worried about anything else??? Thanks!

Rod...
02-16-1999, 08:45 AM
<i>: I took my '88 735i into the gas station to get a new battery (have to take the back seat out, didn't feel like fooling around with it), and something strange happened. I wanted them to replace the battery, but apparently they taught my car German. Now, whenever I start her up, it says "Bitte Arsomethinidon'tremember", apparently German for "Fasten Your Seatbelt". Everything else works fine (i.e. trip comp in miles, it says "Range", etc) but I was wondering if it's possible to reset this back, and why did it happen? Should I be worried about anything else??? Thanks!<p></i>Make sure the battery that was installed is a "sealed" unit with a vent tube.<br>This is very important!!<br>Not all batteries are suited for installation inside the passenger compartment or trunk.<p>Batteries produce hydrogen gas while being charged and the gas can become an explosive mixture in a confined space, such as inside the car.<br>

Jim Brisimi
02-16-1999, 10:53 AM
I had this same probelm happen on my 88 735. What I did was take out the fuse that controls the Check Control or display. I also checked for blown fuses which there were but I feel they were for a separate reason. Anyhow, after pulling and cleaning the fuse, the display spoke my language (english) and everything has been normal since then. Perhaps there's a more te*****al reason for this event, I don't know. Try it out it may also work in your situation. Good Luck!

Callan
02-16-1999, 07:51 PM
This will reset everything back to normal. Hold the "check control" button on the rht side of the cluster in while turning the ignition key to the first[ACC] position. In a few seconds you will get each language scrolling across the MATRIX. Just release the check control button when you get the "dialect" you want. This is a common problem for 5s&7s made before 2/89 production since there was a instrument cluster update at that point. The above procedure allows the driver to select what lang. to operate the messages from the cluster in. I think you get 6 choices.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index