Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Noah
02-19-1999, 02:07 AM
I'm looking at an '82 BMW 733i 5sp tomorrow which is supposedly in very good shape from the original owner (approx. 150,000 miles).<p>What do you think this car might be worth (range)? Is there any chance it will be reliable transportation? Are all parts available? How pricey is ordinary service/repair?<p>Any other general comments/suggestions would be greatly<br>appreciated.

Edward
02-19-1999, 09:57 AM
<i>: I'm looking at an '82 BMW 733i 5sp tomorrow which is supposedly in very good shape from the original owner (approx. 150,000 miles).<p>: What do you think this car might be worth (range)? Is there any chance it will be reliable transportation? Are all parts available? How pricey is ordinary service/repair?<p>: Any other general comments/suggestions would be greatly<br>: appreciated.<p></i>Noah - First of all this year and age be ready to spend a little money "putting it right". Most cars as clean a sthey are still need or rather should have the basics addressed...Brakes, fluids, gaskets, you know the "basics"...Anyway - I would think with little to no rust it should be around $2500 or less - These cars are not really the desired style (the early E23's) nor is the 3.3 as desirable as the 3.5... It should prove to be a reliable auto though - granted the owner took good care... Good luck!<p>Edward

Eric
02-19-1999, 07:24 PM
<i>: I'm looking at an '82 BMW 733i 5sp tomorrow which is supposedly in very good shape from the original owner (approx. 150,000 miles).<p>: What do you think this car might be worth (range)? Is there any chance it will be reliable transportation? Are all parts available? How pricey is ordinary service/repair?<p>: Any other general comments/suggestions would be greatly<br>: appreciated.<p>If you page down to the post of 1/29/99 by Chris Keen, you will get quite a bit of information on what to look for on this car. A good car (no rust, very good paint and interior) would be worth $3,000-$3,500 in my opinion. Remember this is a 16 year old car so you likely will have to spend some money to get it in shape.<p>One thing not previously mentioned in these posts which you should know is to check the fuse box. If you are able to, run the air conditioner for a while (maybe at least 15 minutes) and see if the A/C fuse gets real hot (also see if the fuse box cover is warped because of heat over this fuse). If so, you probably have a bad connection there. It's annoying, but fixable (I think I saw a homemade fix on the "First Fives (old 528i) website). If the A/C doesn't work, this could be a reason.<p>I somewhat agree that the 3.5 is more desirable, but I don't think the difference is that great. BMW made changes in 1982 (to L-Jetronic injection) which improved performance and fuel economy, and then in 1983 improved slightly more with Motronic. The 3.5s had more torque and therefore made a noticable improvement with an automatic, but the 3.3s revved a little better, so with a 5-speed, there was no difference in acceleration. Mechanically, the '82 is much better over the '78-81.<p>From a styling perspective, I like the sharper front end of the '78-82.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index