Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index


07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
what kind of tool do i need and where do i get it?

07-25-2006, 01:37 AM
well, for the wife's '86, I used a big pair of water pump pliers or channel-lock pliers I had.

But there are large "socket" tools you can buy for a few bucks at most auto parts stores, like NAPA, Checker and so on. Warning, these come in different sizes so, as for all sockets, you have to have the right number of flats on the tool, plus the right distance from one side to the other. If it's a plastic socket, use it gently, it can snap; but the metal versions are expensive(er).

I don't have the right size information handy, maybe someone will chip in. Let your fingers do the walking unless you like to hang out in the parts stores.

07-25-2006, 01:42 AM
the '98-on cars have the V6 with the replaceable filter in the can on the left front of the motor. In this car the filter cap is plastic and you need to be gentle with it, 'cuz you're gonna re-use it.

Earlier cars may have the throw-away filter with integral metal housing, hanging off the low side of the engine. Same advice for tools applies, but you can get heavy on the throw-away metal filters.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index