Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Extress
07-30-2006, 02:43 AM
Hi there,

I thought I was driving below the speed limit to close my convertible top on an 1997 Jaguar XK8 but I guess not. Now the roof button will not respond and the rear windows are down. Can anyone help? I an not at all car savvy but per the handbook I checked that the fluid in the convertible top pump is dark green and half full.

But it did not tell me should it be completely full? What should I do? Do I need a flush? the Alen (spelling?)tool will not close my roof. Have I MESSED IT UP BECUZ I DRIVEN IT THIS WAY TODAY.

THANK YOU ANY AND ALLL!!!!!!!!

Extress
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM

jhorn
08-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope by now you have resolved your problem but if not you need to familiarize yourself with the convertible top pump located in the truck on the right side behind the liner. There is a small valve you can turn to release hydrolic pressure and then manually close the top. You will need the allen tool to manually open the top latch. Once you get the top fully latched you can turn the pressure valve fully back and your top operations should return to normal -- at least for me it did when I did the exact same thing. This procedure is also detailed in your manual.

Best of luck - hope that helps.

Seaall
10-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I read all the help notes and finally figured out my problem and thought i would pass on what I learned.
I have a 1998 XK8 with 55,000 miles. I closed the top and did not have the side windows down. Big mistake. The top hit the windows and the top latch closed without traping the top hook. The latch is driven by a hydraulic cylinder and can not be moved to let the top engage.Pushing the open button does nothing. After reading many notes here I figured out how to fix the problem. In the trunk on the right hand side above the cd player is the hydraulic pump behind some covering. There is a small valve in the middle of the pump. open it all the way. Then take the allen wrench right by the valve and put it in the hole behind a plastic plug to the right of the overhead light panel.
Engage the wrench and turn clockwise very hard and slowly. This will push the fluid out of the latch cylinder and allow the latch to open so the top hook can engage. When engaged turn it back counter clockwise until it stops.Close the valve on the pump and with good luck all is well.

August
11-11-2007, 01:25 AM
John Horn and Seall,

MANY MANY THANKS to you and all others on this board regarding the Xk8 roof fix. My roof like yours went out of wack when the latch closed before the roof was in place to be closed. Once the roof was not latched closed PROPERLY the rear windows also would not go up. The close / open roof button did not work either up or down; in fact it showed no life - I thought I had blown a fuse or something. Still I read your and Johns advice and did exactly what you recommended with the valve in the back above the cd player. Followed your instructions and DAMN IF IT DIDNT WORK! Once I used the allen wrench to manually open the latch and then manually close the latch with the roof in place, I closed the valve and pushed the close button on the roof - the windows promplty closed we are all properly sealed shut for the night. Just after midnight and no worries tonight. AGAIN MUCH THANKS - YOU SAVED ME TIME AND WORRY!

Joe Lynch
10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I borrowed my friends car to drive my daughter in the Homecomming Parade and it sounds like the same thing happened to me. The roof closed and the latch did not connect. What is the procedure the two gentlemen gave you for the valve behind the CD player? Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have.

Joe

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index