Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Braking Technology

kdas
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Is anyone worried that the next M3 will have an inadequate braking system? I'm not simply talking about the aesthetic look of a branded brake caliper which is undoubtedly very cool. On first glance...

-The Audi RS4 has a multi-piston brake setup sourced from the Gallardo.
-Mercedes AMG is a multi-piston composite set-up.
-No point even mentioning Porsche. Different league.

So, faced with such stiff competition, why is that BMW M division has not gone further than larger drilled rotors?

Frankly, it is embarrassing that the braking technology of the current M division range is so far behind the curve.

They can give us a carbon roof but not even the option of carbon/composite brakes?

gregwminmmoregon
08-19-2006, 11:18 PM
more expensive. The single pot calipers work okay on the street, but not the track. Too bad there's not a "competetion" brake option. Would be inexpensive for the manufacturer to do. I's gladly spend a thou or so.******>
<B>Greg</B> Lake Oswego, Oregon
<HR>
2001 M3 Coupe - Titanium/Cinnamon
Prem. Pkg., Xenon, CWP, adj. seat width, HK, Matte Chrome trim; RAC Monolite RG4 forged wheels (19x9, 10), Michelin PS2s 245/275, CSL/ZCP rotors, Stoptech sst lines, GC custom Koni/Eibach coilovers/camber plates, Larini sst exhaust, ACS SSK w/ Z8 shift knob, ACS pedal covers/handbrake, UUC Big Boy clutch stop, CDV delete, OEM strut tower brace, '04 LEDs/trunk lights, V1 w/ hardwire & in-cluster remote display, euro front bumper cover, euro first aid kit & warning triangle, space saver spare, painted foglight rings, PIAA Xtreme Plus fogs, SilverVision front turns.
2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Pewter/Charcoal Alcantara/Aluminum
*******>
http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=6787

jimdrivas
08-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Maybe the new M3 will get 2 piston front brakes like the M5. 14" brakes would be nice ala M5.

PTGSport
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Brembo, AP and now Performance Friction. Porsche had a very hard time with the composite brakes that were on the GT2, the GT was ok because it had adequate cooling and the newer version seems ok so far. Keep in mind that the composite brakes and the carbon/carbon race brakes are nowhere near similar...and that's good. The biggest advantage by far is the rotating/unsprung weight savings...but most of this can be had jsut using 2 piece construction with lightweight hats. Brembo and Mercedes and working on alot of composite rotor technology so in the future I would expect the availability to go way up and the pricing to go way down...but not quite yet. Replacing PCBs for the Porsche will cost you $k's each time while replacing rotors and hardware on the PFC or similar will cost $400-600...and will probably last longer as well.

swamp29
10-04-2006, 04:56 AM
Looks to me like the new M3 will have some nice brakes (unless this test car for the track has special, non-production, track brakes.) I can't quite tell if these are double piston (or 4 piston) but they certainly are much bigger and different than E46 M3. Does anyone recall if the E46 test cars were ever spotted with special, larger brakes for track testing. I seriously doubt it as they want to test everything as built for production. Anyway the conclusion is good - new brakes should (finally) be as big and good looking as BMWs stop.

http://home.san.rr.com/swamp2/image002.jpg

evan...
10-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I love PFC's set up with a nice set of PFC 01's their rotors IMO are better then Brembo, but not quite as good as Alcon.

The metal in the rotors of the PFC are what makes them nice.

You have to remember that not all metal is the same and when choosing a brake upgrade its not just piston number and size that counts.

pimbeche
10-05-2006, 02:38 AM

gregwminmmoregon
10-05-2006, 10:40 PM
http://members.roadfly.com/gregwminmmoregon/E92 brake.jpg

Looks like it could be a 4-piston caliper.******>
<B>Greg</B> Lake Oswego, Oregon
<HR>
2001 M3 Coupe - Titanium/Cinnamon
Prem. Pkg., Xenon, CWP, adj. seat width, HK, Matte Chrome trim; RAC Monolite RG4 forged wheels (19x9, 10), Michelin PS2s 245/275, CSL/ZCP rotors, Stoptech sst lines, GC custom Koni/Eibach coilovers/camber plates, Larini sst exhaust, ACS SSK w/ Z8 shift knob, ACS pedal covers/handbrake, UUC Big Boy clutch stop, CDV delete, OEM strut tower brace, '04 LEDs/trunk lights, V1 w/ hardwire & in-cluster remote display, euro front bumper cover, euro first aid kit & warning triangle, space saver spare, painted foglight rings, PIAA Xtreme Plus fogs, SilverVision front turns.
2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Pewter/Charcoal Alcantara/Aluminum
*******>
http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=6787

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index