Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Denis Ciaciuch
08-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I have a 2000 VDP with 95,000 miles that I have occasional engine flooding problems that no one has been able to fix. The 1st time was at 70,000 miles- had it towed and replaced plugs, cleaned throttle body and it ran great. Next problem was at 85K miles and same routine but with different mechanic. Had a problem last winter but let it set for a couple of days and it started. Just had a problem last week and had it towed and new plugs. This time though the mechanic had problems with engine turning over and suspected that enough gas had leaked into the cylinders to clean the oil off. They squirted oil in the cylinders, replaced the plugs and it fired right up. 2 sets of plugs in 30k miles seems excessive. At none of the incidents did I hit the gas pedal. I also have a problem with the engine coolant light going on and needing to add a small amount of coolant every 3 - 4 months. Any chance that these are related? Could a small coolant leak through a head gasket be fowling the plugs? One other issue that may or may not be related is that I've been having to enter the radio code pretty frequently lately. Anyone have any ideas?

I bought the car used on Ebay. It was an off lease vehicle with 48k miles. It's been a great car except for the stalling.

JohnG
08-28-2006, 12:24 PM
I can't say for sure if this is what is happening to your car, but the X308s reportedly have an issue with flooding and washing down the cylinder walls with fuel if you start them and then only run them for a short period of time. The procedure to prevent this is to let the car run for a while each time you start it, and refrain from starting it, moving it a few feet, shutting it off. I don't know exactly how long you have to leave it running to prevent this, but I've seen the employees at the local used jag superstore move cars around in the warehouse, and they always let them idle for a good long while rather than shutting them off right away - presumably to preven this.

Here's the correct forum for your car - do a search for flooding and you should pull up some info

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_xj8/

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index