Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leak

aklee
10-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Have a 04 XJR picked up at Xmas of 03. Starting to see some fluid leak end of 05. First attempt to fix it was diag as a oil filter leak. Still leaking after picked up the car, went to another dealer Jan 06. Found to be a transmission leak instead and replaced oil pan. Picked up car, car still leaking oil. Returned and get it fixed again, another oil pan on this 3rd visit. Fix good for at least 1 week, and then didn't pay much attention assuming its done. Cleaned garage in Aug, found the card board left under car was SOAKED with oil, leaving a 2 feet diamemter oil patch in floor. Apparently has been leaking for a long time. Went to dealer, replaced oil pan again. Lasted for another week, leak continues. It leaks even when car is NOT used, just parked in garage. Went back to shop, another pan is replaced and is still leaking I was told today. I don't think the dealer has a clue other than keep replacing the oil pan....... I can count at least 4 new pans installed already. Now my car has been in the shop for a week, and is still not fixed. Any body have any suggestions or clues? I'm ready to send a letter to Jaguar for an official complaint..... By the way, the XJR has <13k miles on it. Thanks.

Magin
10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Tony,

It is likely that the leak is emanating from where the electrical harness goes into the gearbox. (An o-ring.)

Have your mechanic look over all "orifices" and entry points on the gearbox. Let me know how it goes.

terrysjag
11-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Check the transmission fluid lines to the radiator. My xj8 feed line had a 90 degree bend that rubbed on the frame rail. The steel 5/16th fluid line eventually wore flat against the rail and started leaking. It is difficult to see until crawling underneath and pushing the line away from the frame. Good luck.

aklee
12-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Well, its finally fixed... After the dealer had my XJR for a week the last time, I have the car since 11/15 and has not had any leak. I was told that oil was seeping from the mounting bolts which the transmission oil should not have reached. They have sealed all the bolts and the electrical harness entry (thanks to Magin...) The dealer also claimed they had a XJ that has the same transmission leak problem and was fixed the same way. I hope Jaguar will have this in the technical bullitin to their dealers to help other XJ/XK owners.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index