Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rezzak
10-19-2006, 02:57 AM
Some history on my experience with my 2006 M Coupe. When I went to pick up the car when it was brand new it had 2 small dents on the roof that faced outward. Almost like someone had poked the roof from the inside with a screwdriver! They of course had the dent wizard guy fix it but maybe I should have rejected delivery of the car altogether. The next problem came when I dropped the car off with them 2 days later to have the clear-bra installed. They washed the car as is usual before they do the install but when I picked it up the brand new paint had spider web type scratches all over the car. Almost like the guys washing it used rags that had small rocks and dirt in them. I freaked out on them and they sent me to a guy locally to have the car professionally buffed out. A week later i was washing my car and noticed the M emblems were ALL peeling off the car. Back to the dealer again for another fix! Two weeks later I was driving and noticed a screw cover that covers a screw in my vent had fallen off. Then I started looking around and see there are 2 other screw covers on various panels in my car missing. Nice craftsmenship guys!
Now I am facing a whole new problem. One that is driving me crazy! It seems my engine has developed a bit of a cold. Last week I took my car to the dealership to have them check out a rattle I noticed occurse between 3k and 4k RPM. The service tech and I drove it around and he agreed he heard the sound I was referring to. We then jumped into an M roadster of the same year and it did not make the same noise. I explained to him that my car did not make this noise before and that it is a new noise. He said he would try to research it in other cars around the dealership on his own and get back to me. I called him a day or two later and he told me that there was going to be a rep from BMW North America in town this week and to bring it in and let him look at it. So today I took my car to the dealer again for the rep from BMW north america to look and listen to the noise. Of course they kept the car all day and then called me at the end of the day and told me that nothing was wrong and that the noise was normal. They admitted that they did NOT hear the noise in another M Coupe but that it was brand new so it was not the same comparison. But I guess for MY CAR to make that noise it is normal. They did say there was a new bulletin on the car that they fixed. They said they would tell me what the recall was tomorrow when I pick it up. I wonder if I should get a lawyer and try to get my money back as my car has only 2500 miles on it.
I have been driving these cars for about 15 years now and this is how they repay me? I even offered to have them open up the engine and try to diagnose it at my expense and they said that would not be a smart thing to do as it would most likely turn out to be nothing and that I would be out even more money. I told them I was concerned about this issue because of the history of these engines blowing up. They assured me the car is under warranty and that I do not need to worry about it. I feel like BMW is trying to hide something. I have owned and driven 3 different E46 M3's for a total of 6 years now and none of those cars made this same engine noise. It is the same engine in the M Coupe as in the E46 M3 and I think I should know what is normal or not for these cars by now. Besides this rattle noise I am now forced to endure I have noticed today that the plastic piece under the windshield wipers has become severely warped by the Arizona sun and heat. I love it! What should I do about this? What options do I have legally?

Andrew
10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
the dents you discovered upon delivery and the paint scratches I think are dealer isolated and as for the emblems the are just held on the double sided tape so the heat could have caused the glue to seperate.

Is it possible for you to take your car to another dealer to chase down the engine rattle?

Personally I do not think you have grounds yet for a lemon law claim but if that is what you are after then you will have to check with your State laws.

zegzula
10-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Ouch! I haven't had nearly as many probs. with my M roadster, but I also have that engine rattle. See my reply to your first post on this subject. I do have a sticky spot with my clutch, has a slight catch when starting off in first gear, just as it is making contact and engaging the transmision. Only happen when it is cold, goes away after warm up (like driving to dealership)I guess I will have to leave it overnight with them...

Good luck with your coupe.

tommckinney
11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
The noise may indeed be normal. It's more than likely a vanos issue. Check Ron Stygar's post on the other board ( b i m m e r f e s t .com)
http://www.b i m m e r f e s t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173044

remove the spaces and copy/paste in your browser.
The Other Tom

wawuzit
11-01-2006, 08:15 PM
http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=4578

DaneKane
11-02-2006, 12:50 AM
different adaptations(technically each car is unique to it's driver's style of driving)..comprendez?..CHeers! dk '97 2.8 bg R(it's not noise..it's muZic!)http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=40215http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=40215http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=40215

Rezzak
11-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info! Now that my car is getting problems sorted I can finally enjoy it! It is a lot of fun and with the Dinan exhaust and stuff coming soon that noise will be history!

Alanz4m
01-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I have just read your comments with interest. I have specifically joined the forum to find out more about my Z4 M coupe engine noise. The car is a 2007 model and now has 1200 miles on it but right from day 1 between 3000 & 3250 rpm there is an engine noise / rattle that sounds similar to valve train / cam issues. I have taken it to the dealer but just got blown away with some dismissive comment. I have emailed BMW USA who were even less interested!!

It spoils the fun of driving the car as one can't help thinking damage is being done.

I have also previously owned an M3 that had no such engine noise.

Are there any updates or continuing thoughts on this subject???

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index