Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

BavarianRescue
11-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I see that BMW has found it necessary to make the rain sensing wipers standard on the '07. Does this seemingly needless, and funky technology really work? What happens if it's bird poop or something? BavarianRescue
Used Parts for Vintage BMW's
Eureka, Ca.http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=105055

mikemcn
11-15-2006, 11:43 PM
It really replaces intermittent wipers, turns them on when needed and reduces the interval as rain or speed intensify, so you don't really need to pay attention to it. Its nice, but the old way worked well enough too.

On the coupe (at least), this feature is tied into the brake drying system. I'm not sure, but I think when the rain sensor trips the wipers on, the brakes are dried by a very slight pressure, so they will grip better/faster when really needed. I could feel this when my car was brand new in heavy rain (momentary resistance feel, like I'd hit a strong head wind), probably because the brakes were new and had full thicknesses. Can't tell anymore (over 9k miles). The brake drying is intermittent (doesn't happen with each swipe of the wiper blades), so this is the best I can do to describe it.

Back to the wipers, we have rain sensing wipers on our Z4 Coupe and X3, but not of course on our Z3. We prefer the rain sensing setup to the old one, its just a little bit better and more convenient.

YMMV, of course.

Mike Mc

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index