Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Need help - brake system problems

steve190
02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
I've owned several bmw's and bought a mb 190e 2.3 8v for short money.
I just got finished doing the head gasket and now on to my brake problem. This is what is happening...

The car's brake peddle will become hard and apply brakes to all for axles. Then after a mile or two the peddle will go back to normal with no hard peddle or squeezing of the brake calipers. This repeats all day while I'm on the road traveling. this will occur 4 or 5 times in 4 or 5 hours. Is it water in the lines, brake booster, check valve hose, brake master cylinder??? I've tested the check valve and seems ok. Need help. Thanks Steve

c.d.iesel
02-17-2007, 09:01 AM
brake booster hose & check valve in correct direction ?

booster hose bent / kinked / leaking?

any brake fluid present in the booster - you need to un-nut the master cylinder and pull it away and look inside with a light

was this the condition BEFORE the cylinder R & R ?

steve190
02-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Hose and check valve in corrent direction.
I checked the hose was working properly as well.
I used an air compressor to check the valve and blew into it meself.

Good idea with the master cylinder. I will try it. I will let you know the outcome.

I found water, ice, and air in the system. Had to defrost the car and give it a good brake bleed. Using a power bleeder 10psi.
I know that I have a hung caliper front right and the rear are overdue for a change. Not returning well.

Could it be from heat in the front and overwear in the rear that is causing the hard brake.

Also I tested the booster seemed to hold ok. Test was no hose connection to booster and then connecting to booster. What a difference in braking. It's very difficult to operate brakes with out booster and then with it works great. No problems.

I will be performing a full brake job on the car.

Front inner and outer bearings
rotors all around + pads + new hardware.
Brake rebuild on front calipers.
Adjust rear emergency brake.

If hard brake pedal continues it must be the dreaded booster.

Thanks,

Steve

c.d.iesel
02-17-2007, 06:46 PM
YOU HAVE A SERIOUS CALIPER PROBLEM - don't look at the vacuum booster
bits. Water and ice in the system ??!?!?!?!

Dear man , your in for a serious system flushing, replace the calipers, hoses, the master cylinder, and repair the system correctly.
And don't just reuse the rotten pads and overly thin rotors.
Sorry to be so hard - but it BRAKES, and others are on the road with YOU.

http://www.project34.co.uk/shop/images/tecdrawinglarge.jpg

steve190
02-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the warning. I wanted to fix the big stuff first and leave the brakes for last. I just finished a head gasket job and the car is smoothing out now. Wanted to make sure the car was not going to the bone yard. Now it's time for brakes!

One problem it's having which I hope is not the fuel pressure regulator. It's searching. Could be linkage or maybe a fuel filter or just water in the fuel system. The FPR is $400.00. What??
It's a Benz alright.

Also do you think the master cylinder is toast?

Thanks for keeping in touch.
Steve190

c.d.iesel
02-18-2007, 09:54 AM
toasty master cyliner smell like toast from hear.

Replace the gas filter, and drain the tank - from the hose coming from the bottom of the tank to the filter/pump into a bucket.

Add a bottle of TECHRON , and pray that all that contamination hasn't
toasted your fuel distributor and injectors.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index