Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

JSXJ8
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey all!

I have a 2004 XJ8 with 61,000 miles. I have been having an constant issue with my transmission that the dealer says nobody else has had a problem with and has no real idea what is wrong.

Here is what the car is doing:

When the car is cold and I am slowly climbing a hill (like out of my office parking lot or out of my drive at home) and I slow down to an almost stop (rolling stop) and then I accelerate without FULLY stopping the transmission slips/shifts hard and learches the car hard. Its almost as if the tranny gets confused and quickly downshifts. This happens mostly when the car is cold. The dealer has re calibrated all he software several times and there is never any codes stored. I just got it back today after they replaced the valve body. They told me there was nothing in the pan or filter when they opened it up that concerned them. They also re-calbrated all the software again and it did it today after I got home just as it had before it went in the shop.

I am at a LOSS here. Anyone expreienced this or know what might be wrong? PLEASE post thoughts or experiences!

I have had cars with the ZF tranny before (BMW 540 was my last car) and I have NEVER had a car do this.

PLEASE help!

Thanks!

Joe

Churmsk
04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I have a 2004 XJ8 and am currently "monitoring" the transmission. I find that if I come to a rolling stop and then excellent it will feel like someone has tapped me from behind (I actually thought a car had rear ended me the first time). I've had the car for 2 mths and thought it was a design flaw, however, I have a 2004 VDP on loan from Jaguar and it does not have the same issue.

As well, when cruising at approx. 70km/hr I find the car surges. It will surge by approx. 100 RPM and then drop for the duration of the cuising.

Anyways, not sure if this helps, but I will definitely be having Jaguar check out the transmission.

Churmsk
04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Should have proof read.....I meant to type accerate NOT excellent...lol

Churmsk
04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Accelerate!!!

ARGh....the day has been too long...NO MORE TYPING FOR ME!

Harley D.
08-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Hi Joe,

This is not a new issue, but is now becoming apparent to unsuspecting purchasers of these vehicles -- such as myself -- as they come off lease. The ZF 6-speed transmission has known issues not only in XJs, but S-Type and XKs as well, not to mention some BMW models. Unless your dealer has been living in a vacuum, I suspect he's being less than truthful by saying "nobody else has had a problem" and that he "has no real idea what is wrong." There have been Jaguar and BMW TSBs addressing shifting irregularities with these transmissions going back years. And mileage has nothing to do with it; my car only had "8,361" on it when purchased earlier this year, and the dealer reflashed the TCM after I drove the car around the block and the transmission "slipped" between 1st and 2nd when accelerating from a brief stop. The TCM reflash solved the slipping issue but not all the intermittent harsh shifts I've had subsequently, perhaps because the ECM wasn't flashed at the same time (see below).

Here's a link to one thread that will provide some background:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_s_type/4922683-1.html

Note that it's over in the S-Type Forum. The author of this particular thread also set up a website: www.theLurch.com (hot link below). If you do a search under "Transmission warranty issues," "Lurching," and "Lurching - Update and BMW E60 owners experience," you'll find additional posts -- although not much more information.

After sifting through all of these threads, it seems most of the buzz stopped about 2 years ago -- about the time Jaguar TSB No. S307-17 was released. This outlined a procedure for reflashing both the TCM and ECM, and was reported to have solved the problem for most owners -- although some vehicles need more than one try. (You'll find the full text outlined in Dave's post -- in the above referenced link -- on "2005-02-18".) There is also a TSB some have referenced that outlines flushing and refilling the transmission fluid as a fix for harsh shifting; and at least one post advocated having both modules flashed and the fluid changed at the same time as a (so-called) permanent solution. There are also reports of everything going fine after one or more of the above procedures, only to have the problem(s) return at a later date. This has been referred to as programming "drift", and software updates continue to be released to help address this issue; a new XK TCM Software Update was uploaded to Jaguar's Global Technical Reference (GTR) website on 12 Jul 2007.

I came across something else on the GTR website that I haven't been able to get any information on yet: "ZF 6-Speed Transmission Incorrectly Manufactured - Recall Action R525" -- Date Uploaded: 22 Nov 2005 -- for S-Type and XJ - All Years. Surprisingly XKs are not included, and a call to a Jaguar Customer Service Representative for further information was nonproductive, as they only give out information on specific VINs (i.e. your vehicle). I'm not a subscriber to the GTR site, so only a summary is visible to me online, and there is nothing in the XJ Forum -- or any of the other Roadfly Forums -- regarding this particular Recall. It's not new, so I would expect at least one post somewhere! But maybe it was a minor issue and had little or nothing to do with these harsh-shifting problems. Anyone else know?

There are some similar harsh-shifting reports resulting from bad torque converters, as well, so that would also need to be ruled out.

I'm in the process of trying an adaptive driving strategy -- outlined in the referenced link by "So Cali Jag" and "Mr Jaguar" -- but it's too early to tell if it's made any differnece. The shifting problems I've experienced are: harsh up-shifts when the power train is cold; and when warmed up, occasional harsh 2-1 downshifts at roll out -- that I would describe as a jerk just as I'm coming to a stop or already stopped (= Variant 1 of the "Lurch" on Dave's website) -- and occasional harsh shifts into Overdrive. I'll be asking for the TSB S307-17 (or later) update on my next dealer visit; hopefully that will be the permanent fix.

Harley D. - '03 XK8
Southern California

Harley D.
08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Here's a link to the recall information for R525. It has nothing to do with the harsh-shifting issue and apparently affected only 493 vehicles:

http://auto-recalls.justia.com/content/05V503000-JAGUAR-XJ-2006.html

(Hot link below)

2004jagxjr
04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Hello Harley D and Churmsk, I have a 2004 XJR unsure of the trans model number however it is the 6 speed.
I am unsure if it is an issue or just characteristic of this type of car.
When car is cold to warm the rpm's will surge approx 100 rpm's at easy throttle. If the throttle is pushed at a very slight hard acceleration then the surge goes away.
After warm up condition seems to disappear.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

AlamoJag
09-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Hey all!

I have a 2004 XJ8 with 61,000 miles. I have been having an constant issue with my transmission that the dealer says nobody else has had a problem with and has no real idea what is wrong.

Here is what the car is doing:

When the car is cold and I am slowly climbing a hill (like out of my office parking lot or out of my drive at home) and I slow down to an almost stop (rolling stop) and then I accelerate without FULLY stopping the transmission slips/shifts hard and learches the car hard. Its almost as if the tranny gets confused and quickly downshifts. This happens mostly when the car is cold. The dealer has re calibrated all he software several times and there is never any codes stored. I just got it back today after they replaced the valve body. They told me there was nothing in the pan or filter when they opened it up that concerned them. They also re-calbrated all the software again and it did it today after I got home just as it had before it went in the shop.

I am at a LOSS here. Anyone expreienced this or know what might be wrong? PLEASE post thoughts or experiences!

I have had cars with the ZF tranny before (BMW 540 was my last car) and I have NEVER had a car do this.

PLEASE help!

Thanks!

Joe

Joe my jag does the same in similar situation.....my Ram truck does the same....i wouldnt worry .

winelight
03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I read the Jag Technical Bulletin S307-17 which describes the transmission shifting problem I'm seeing on my 2004 XJ8 (mostly sharp 1-2 and 2-1 upshifts and downshifts). The car has been dealer maintained since Day One and has 55,000 miles. I talked to the dealer about re-configuring the ECM and TCM per the Technical Bulletin. They will charge 2 hours to do the work ($330 here in California!!!). I was told that the dealership will not be responsible if the ECM or TCM will not come back to life after re-programming - so all of the risk is on me. So...I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to respond: (1) How often does a TCM or ECM fail when it is re-flashed per the Technical Bulletin? (2) When there is failure, is it usually because they did the procedure improperly? (3) Should I find another dealer that won't impose these conditions on me?

winelight
03-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I read the Jag Technical Bulletin S307-17 which describes the transmission shifting problem I'm seeing on my 2004 XJ8 (mostly sharp 1-2 and 2-1 upshifts and downshifts). The car has been dealer maintained since Day One and has 55,000 miles. I talked to the dealer about re-configuring the ECM and TCM per the Technical Bulletin. They will charge 2 hours to do the work ($330 here in California!!!). I was told that the dealership will not be responsible if the ECM or TCM will not come back to life after re-programming - so all of the risk is on me. So...I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to respond: (1) How often does a TCM or ECM fail when it is re-flashed per the Technical Bulletin? (2) When there is failure, is it usually because they did the procedure improperly? (3) Should I find another dealer that won't impose these conditions on me?. Sorry...I inadvertently stated the wrong Technical Bulletin number. It is XJ307-06 for my car.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index