Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

MC40
03-28-2007, 02:55 PM
We are just about to take delivery on a Z4 Coupe 3.0si. I currently drive a MINI Cooper S Monte Carlo Edition. The Z4 is for my wife. I think the MINI is one of the better vehicles that I have ever owned (for the money). However, our income doesn't allow us to own 2 "real" cars so my wife gets the Z4. That was the only way that I could get her away from Audi. She is just coming off a 3 year lease on a TT and wanted another one. Keep in mind that in those three years we had to have the thing towed 4 times, all due to electrical wierdness. I've got my fingers crossed that the "Z" won't bite us in the butt 'cause I'll never hear the end of it. I'm going to go straight to regular tires/wheels and store the runflats. I had runflats on the MINI and managed to get a whole 2,900 miles on them before blowing out both pass. side tires on a water valve cover that was askew.Any ideas on where I can get a spare "donut" for the Z4 or what other spares from other makes might fit. I purchased a MINI spare/tire package from BMW and that was a pricey proposition so I am open to another ideas. Two more days to go!!!

mikemcn
03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Its biggish and heavyish, but also freeish!

We've now got over 16k miles on our 3.0si coupe, and about 11k on the original RFTs and 5k on the winter RFTs. While there are many performance advantages to non-RFTs, we haven't had any issues with rapid wear or other concerns.

Having said all that, our plan is to go to a summer performance tire once I've burned through the stock tires (probably be through 'em this fall, just in time to mount the winter wheels again, so buy the new tires in a year). RFTs are getting better with each generation, so I'm trying to keep an open mind, but if I was buying the summer tires today I'd probably go for non-RFTs and just ignore having a spare. I think that's what roadside assist is for!

I could take my own advice and, after putting summer tires on, just carry one of the winters in the back as a spare, but I don't feel that much risk of a flat, even with our awful roads here.

Check the Z4 roadster board for more thoughts/posts on the subject of non-RFTs and flat-fixers, etc.

Mike Mc

AlanL
03-30-2007, 11:22 PM
They appear to backordered, but try these folks out for a space saver spare:

LeatherZ (http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=SpaceSaverSpare&Category_Code=Z4)

MC40
03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
real car !!!!

MC40
03-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Leather Z. Thanks

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index