Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Eric
03-05-2000, 05:01 AM
I own a 80 528i, I'm not sure if my car is overheating or not. My BMW normal operating indication is past the half way point on the indicator. First stage fan doesn't come on until approx. 3/4. I've tried another indicator and sending unit. The car appears to be overheating? Can anyone tell me what their indication reads at normal operating temperature.<p>Thanks,<br>Eric<br>80 528i<br>86 535i

rich
03-05-2000, 10:27 AM
Are you losing coolant? Or just showing abnomally? I just bought my first, First Five. (1977 530I)The gauge sits about half way between cold and 1/3 on the gauge. My 1984 533 is another story. Some days 1/3 gauge, other days, for no apparent reason,just under the red mark. I am losing coolant somewhere as well. I did notice, a drop in the gauge when I turned off the heater fan and lights. The gauge went to almost half. I think I have an overheating problem, but I think I have an electrical problem too. I'm not sure where I'm going with all this but,pressure test the system,check the fan clutch, and check all your grounds. <br> <p><i>: I own a 80 528i, I'm not sure if my car is overheating or not. My BMW normal operating indication is past the half way point on the indicator. First stage fan doesn't come on until approx. 3/4. I've tried another indicator and sending unit. The car appears to be overheating? Can anyone tell me what their indication reads at normal operating temperature.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Eric<br>: 80 528i<br>: 86 535i<p></i>

Bill Minder
03-05-2000, 04:36 PM
When I bought my '77 530i, the needle stayed on the "M" on the word TEMP and if it idled for very long, it would climb past the "P". (How's that for technical jargon.) Here's what I did:<p>1. Checked the radiator fan clutch. Mine was bad. Here's what you do: With the engine off, spin the fan blades with your fingers. If the fan clutch is good, you'll feel some resistance and it will stop spinning almost immediately. It shouldn't spin more than 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. If it spins freely then it is bad. Replace it (I got a used one for $20).<p>2. Put BMW Coolant in it. It's expensive, but it is better for aluminum engine heads and radiators because it doesn't have some of the additives that corrode or build up on aluminum.<p>3. Pull the radiator, take it to a car wash and blast hot soapy water thru the fins in the opposite direction of the air flows through it when you're driving down the street. You will be amazed at the junk that comes out of the fins: Bugs, grass, stalks of weeds, mud, little rocks. All that crud reduces the radiator's efficiency at transferring heat.<p>4. Run water from your garden hose through the radiator. Flush it out real good from both ends until it runs clear.<p>5. Try a lower temp thermostat.<p>6. Bleed the air out of the system when you refill it.<p>7. Make sure the ignition timing is correct. Mine was severly retarded when I bought it and that will make it heat up fast and run hot.<p>My 530 runs down aroung the "E" on TEMP now, and hasn't gone above the second hash mark yet. See if these things help you.<br>

rich
03-06-2000, 08:26 AM
<i>: I own a 80 528i, I'm not sure if my car is overheating or not. My BMW normal operating indication is past the half way point on the indicator. First stage fan doesn't come on until approx. 3/4. I've tried another indicator and sending unit. The car appears to be overheating? Can anyone tell me what their indication reads at normal operating temperature.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Eric<br>: 80 528i<br>: 86 535i<p></i>

rich
03-06-2000, 08:31 AM
<i>: I own a 80 528i, I'm not sure if my car is overheating or not. My BMW normal operating indication is past the half way point on the indicator. First stage fan doesn't come on until approx. 3/4. I've tried another indicator and sending unit. The car appears to be overheating? Can anyone tell me what their indication reads at normal operating temperature.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Eric<br>: 80 528i<br>: 86 535i<p></i>I had one more thought, A lean condition can cause your motor to run hot. check for vacum leaks. Check the bellows connecting to mass sensor (AFM?) to the throttle body,and any other hoses after the AFM. This also caused my 84 533I to run hot.

Karl Koenig
03-07-2000, 05:41 PM
Bill gave a thorough list of things to check in your cooling system. Properly maintained, you should have no cooling problem. I gave mine a thorough check, including having a shop boil out the radiator, a couple years ago when I put in the 535 engine. I've run at a drivers school, in August, in Kansas, with two drivers so the car ran twice as many laps with half as much time to cool off, and the gage got just over half.<p>One other thing needed fixing on my car, age and tarnish on the connector where the wire harness plugs into the back of the instrument cluster. Before I cleaned that, my car indicated hot.<p>Keep the revs up and the shiny side up...<p>karl

john
04-04-2000, 06:13 PM
<i>: I own a 80 528i, I'm not sure if my car is overheating or not. My BMW normal operating indication is past the half way point on the indicator. First stage fan doesn't come on until approx. 3/4. I've tried another indicator and sending unit. The car appears to be overheating? Can anyone tell me what their indication reads at normal operating temperature.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Eric<br>: 80 528i<br>: 86 535i<p></i>

John Cox
04-04-2000, 06:17 PM
<i>: : I own a 80 528i, I'm not sure if my car is overheating or not. My BMW normal operating indication is past the half way point on the indicator. First stage fan doesn't come on until approx. 3/4. I've tried another indicator and sending unit. The car appears to be overheating? Can anyone tell me what their indication reads at normal operating temperature.<p>: : Thanks,<br>: : Eric<br>: : 80 528i<br>: : 86 535i<p></i><p>I had removed the shroud back in October when the screws attaching it had disappeared and it was hitting the ALT belt.<p>Months of cold weather and I simply forgot until sitting at idle in traffic and the temp climbed. The new shroud is 17-11-1-115-083 for $29.00. If anyone can beat that I'm interested.<p>I figure I lost more than 40% cooling capacity from running with no shroud.<p>John

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index