Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Cross-threaded plug

David R. Scott
05-19-2000, 06:16 PM
I've just discovered that the #1 plug is cross-threaded in my 1977 530i. Plug seems to be stuck in the block--what can be done without major surgery. Car isn't driving at the moment so I can't take it in anywhere very easily. Thanks in advance.<br>DScott

Darin
05-20-2000, 08:21 PM
Scott,<p> I had a similar problem with a 528i, but it was the #6. I just had to break it out and use a tap to rethread the head. I have to use thread tape on any new spark plug that I put in from then on out, but it is better than replacing the head. Good luck to ya!!<p>Darin<p><i>: I've just discovered that the #1 plug is cross-threaded in my 1977 530i. Plug seems to be stuck in the block--what can be done without major surgery. Car isn't driving at the moment so I can't take it in anywhere very easily. Thanks in advance.<br>: DScott<p></i>

jms
06-16-2000, 03:19 PM
Worst case you can retap and use a helicoil, or even worse bore, retap, and use a threaded insert. Had to do this once. Took a while to find a repair shop that would do it, but turned out fine.<p><i>: Scott,<p>: I had a similar problem with a 528i, but it was the #6. I just had to break it out and use a tap to rethread the head. I have to use thread tape on any new spark plug that I put in from then on out, but it is better than replacing the head. Good luck to ya!!<p>: Darin<p>: : I've just discovered that the #1 plug is cross-threaded in my 1977 530i. Plug seems to be stuck in the block--what can be done without major surgery. Car isn't driving at the moment so I can't take it in anywhere very easily. Thanks in advance.<br>: : DScott<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index