Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Josh
07-04-2000, 02:28 PM
I just finished half a dozen things on the bmw (rear bearings, drive shaft coupling, tie rods, etc.) and noticed the right axle wasn't spinning while engine was running in gear while the car is on stands. With the engine off and in gear with emergency brake on, the left wheel doesn't budge, but the right one spins freely. I dropped the car and took it for a spin, and it handles like always. Is the final drive broken? More importantly, will my week vacation drive be spoiled, even if I drive like Granny. Would appreciate advise! Josh<p>

Karl Koenig
07-05-2000, 12:16 PM
You're describing two different things. <br>1)<i>right axle wasn't spinning while engine was running in gear while the car is on stands</i><br> - There's a little more drag on the right wneel than the left (maybe the parking brake) so it is still while the left spins. Same thing happens when you get one wheel on ice in winter or unload the inside wheel cornering in a hard corner. (assuming you do not have limited slip)<p>2)<i>with emergency brake on, the left wheel doesn't budge, but the right one spins freely</i><br> - Left parking brake is working, right is not.<p>The pair of things means your right parking brake is not working. Before attacking the right brake, check the cable at the brake handle. (Pull up the rubber boot at the base of the handle) I had the right cable come off the curved channel by the pivot in the brake handle and had similar symptoms. But I wasted a lot of time adjusting and working on the brake mechanism at the wheel before I got around to checking the handle end of the cable...<p>Your final drive is working as advertised. And I doubt driving it for another week in the condition it's been in for a while will make any difference.<p>Wish you well<p>karl

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index