Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mishast
07-17-2000, 03:58 PM
I have a 75 530I with 191k on the speedo. The vehicle runs great but slightly hot despite a new radiator, sending unit and thermostat. The temprature gauge typically hold steady at about the 2/3 mark. Is this normal operating range. Also, when I turn on the blower fan, step on the brakes, or turn on the lights the guage jumps up a bit (most significant when fan is turned on..almost 1/4 way on guage). Can someone explain to me why this is happening? Thanks.

DScott
07-17-2000, 10:02 PM
<i><br>I have a 75 530I with 191k on the speedo. The vehicle runs great but slightly hot despite a new radiator, sending unit and thermostat. The temprature gauge typically hold steady at about the 2/3 mark. Is this normal operating range. Also, when I turn on the blower fan, step on the brakes, or turn on the lights the guage jumps up a bit (most significant when fan is turned on..almost 1/4 way on guage). Can someone explain to me why this is happening? Thanks.<p></i>Make sure you bleed the air bubbles out of your cooling system--that can do some really weird things to idle and, consequently, heat build-up. These cars tend to run hot, but my 1977 530i needle usually sits between the E and the M in "TEMP." They probably vary. Concerning the blower, etc. causing the jump in the guage--that sounds like a bad electrical connection. Check your grounds and make sure everything is secure and clean.<p>If you haven't been there, check out www.firstfives.com--great bunch of E12 fanatics.<p>Good luck,<br>David Scott,<br>1977, 530i<br>

James Lee
07-27-2000, 01:23 AM
Check your batt grounding strap - if it's shot, the temp gauge will act like an ammeter, which is why it is going up when you juice the blower.<br>Email me if you have any questions - I did this on my 82 633 and solved the prob. I check e24 board more often, theres a post there about cooling my 6 down - you may be interested. My 6 is similar to the e12 until 82; 83 633s were like the e28. <br>Good luck cooling her down, and be careful about your head - they were really sensitive to heat until 81. Hope this helps,<br>James Lee<br><i><p>I have a 75 530I with 191k on the speedo. The vehicle runs great but slightly hot despite a new radiator, sending unit and thermostat. The temprature gauge typically hold steady at about the 2/3 mark. Is this normal operating range. Also, when I turn on the blower fan, step on the brakes, or turn on the lights the guage jumps up a bit (most significant when fan is turned on..almost 1/4 way on guage). Can someone explain to me why this is happening? Thanks.<p>Make sure you bleed the air bubbles out of your cooling system--that can do some really weird things to idle and, consequently, heat build-up. These cars tend to run hot, but my 1977 530i needle usually sits between the E and the M in "TEMP." They probably vary. Concerning the blower, etc. causing the jump in the guage--that sounds like a bad electrical connection. Check your grounds and make sure everything is secure and clean.<p>If you haven't been there, check out www.firstfives.com--great bunch of E12 fanatics.<p>Good luck,<br>David Scott,<br>1977, 530i<p></i><br>

Karl Koenig
07-28-2000, 11:48 AM
The hint to check ground cable connection is a good one. In addition to the ground strap itself, the ground connection just below the fuse box, where multi brown wires bolt to the body, is also subject to corrosion.<p>My temp gage acted erratically till I cleaned the connector where the wiring harness plugs into tthe back of the instrument cluster. Electrical contact cleaner, and maybe a typing eraser, is the answer for that.<p>Good luck, chasing electrical gremlins can be a real PITA.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index